Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Important: Home Inspections?

Rate this question

newbe

Question

Hi I've been away from the board from some time, glad to be back.

I have question about home inspections, specifically home inspections for disability accommodations.

My situation is simple, the VA's Chap 31 office granted me supplies that are five years old and two that are now 14 mo. old. I put in a request to replace some used and worn back supplies. I was told that a home inspection needed to be done? When I questioned the VA and said that this type of inspection was never conducted in the past nor requested of me they said, "it should have been done".

I feel this is intrusive and a violation of my privacy. When I asked if they could schedule the apt. at the school I'm attending or at the specilists office they said they would need to do it where the supplies are being used most, your home.

The bottom line is that the VA is forcing this home inspection thing on me and I'm beggining to feel it's a violation of my privacy. If they continue to force the issue what should I do. Also I'm wondering if anyone here has delt with such feelings before, or if you have any advice.

Thank you

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Guest Namvet6567

No, I think you need to do it. It has nothing to due w/your privacy. If you won't meet the requirements, you can't get the help. They won't just take "your word." It may also be a social survey, which could bring more help!!!

I had to go through, the home inspection thing, several times. Before, the first one, I damn near lost it. I was worried about it. Hell/// I got a new laptop and wireless connection and wireless printer out of it. Like most PTSD folks. I really get worked up about things, that I'm afraid that I can't control.

Larry Jones 100% PTSD T&P. and still a little nuts, I hope.

• HadIt.com Elder

we had an inspector out here right after New Year for the home inspection, this is not unusual, it actually helped, the VA counselor talked to my wife about things that would make it easier for her to help take care of me, like a speaker system for the multi floors, so she can talk to me upstairs or down, I've fallen and can't get up,,,,,,,,,,,never thought I would need one of those lol, it's not an invasion of privacy, you are asking the Voc Rehab people to do something for you, you have to comply to within reason with their requirements, and a home inspection is not unwarranted, they do it all the time, sounds like you had a lazy case worker the first time around.

Guest rickb54

I used voc rehab independant living services in 2002 in NC, got a cheap computer and printer.. the va never did a home inspection.

I requesed a new independant living service in Texas in 2005 due to disability worsing... never had a home inspection..

moved to georgia and now was told to contuine my ILS I have to allow a home inspection, by two different contractors. One will determine what I need. and one will determine the cost of what I need.

I don't like it but hey ... I need a new bathroom.. and a woodshop so I will let them invade my privacy for a little time....

What gets me is that no va regional office seems to be working under the same rules