Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adaptive Equipment

Rate this question

JayBrown1

Question

DO ANYONE KNOW IF I WOULD HAVE TO REAPPLY FOR ADAPTIVE EQUIPMENT FOR MY AUTOMOBILE IF I WAS PREVIOUSLY AWARDED IT YEARS AGO AND THE ONLY CHANGE IN MY CONDITION FOR WHICH IT WAS AWARDED IS THAT IT HAS WORSEN OR ONCE IT HAS BEEN AWARDED ITS PERMANENT?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

If you were awarded Automotive Adaptive Equipment on a previous Rating Decision, you still have the eligibility for that benefit. Unless, of course, there has been some miracle.

But before you do anything .... you just can't go out and buy your own adaptive equipment and have the VA pay for it - you will have to see someone at your friendly neighborhood VA Medical Center for an evaluation, recommendation for the appropriate equipment and referral to (generally) a civilian contractor for the actual purchase and installation.

Was that what you're looking for?

If you were awarded Automotive Adaptive Equipment on a previous Rating Decision, you still have the eligibility for that benefit. Unless, of course, there has been some miracle.

But before you do anything .... you just can't go out and buy your own adaptive equipment and have the VA pay for it - you will have to see someone at your friendly neighborhood VA Medical Center for an evaluation, recommendation for the appropriate equipment and referral to (generally) a civilian contractor for the actual purchase and installation.

Was that what you're looking for?

Yes, I appreciate the information because I have been getting the run around from the Prosthetics Department at the Medical Center telling me that I needed to contact the Regional Office and the Regional Office telling me to contact the Prosthetic Department at the Medical Center. I just need to figure out who I need to talk to about this.

Take a copy of that Rating Decision awarding Automobile Adaptive Equipment to the Prosthetics Department.

Yes, I appreciate the information because I have been getting the run around from the Prosthetics Department at the Medical Center telling me that I needed to contact the Regional Office and the Regional Office telling me to contact the Prosthetic Department at the Medical Center. I just need to figure out who I need to talk to about this.

• HadIt.com Elder

the VAMCs have a driving instructor to teach vets how to safelt drive with the adaptive equipment I imagine he can tell you the easiest way to get the approvals and which office has to okay the purchase of the equipment in my case he was also the tech who worked in the cardiac rehab lab in the morning and did the driving stuff in the afternoon and he was one of the nicest employee I ever met at the VA try to locate him/her and see what they can do to help you