VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Online Dependent Modification Submission System

Rate this question

71M10

Question

Greetings all:

Last November I submitted the approval for school attendance form for an 18 yo dependent still in highschool. For ninety seven days it sat in eBenefits with the status of recieved. Saturday I get a letter in the mail from VA, I start to read it and assume that they want something from the school verifying his attendence and expected graduation..... NO the letter tells me that I told the VA that I was never married to my spouse and they need me to confirm that I am un-married and if I was married but have since became divorced I need to attach a copy of my divorce decree, annulment ect. They of course want this in a signed statment in support of claim.

I have sent them the statement and in It i indicated I am married, confirmed her name (they listed her by name in thier inquiry). prodived them the date I sent the marraige certificate, pointed out that she was listed as a spouse in my health benefits application, and refered them to the initial approval of my claim for compensation where they indicate I am receiving spousal benefits for her. I also confirmed we have always lived together since marraige and indicated I had never told the VA that we wern't married. Any one else dealing with this same kind of harrasement?

The only thing I can think of, is that the online system that I accessed to submitt the school attendance form for my son (titled apply for or modify your dependacy benefits) required you to verify all dependants, I only submitted a request for school approval for 18 YO son.

Anyone else ran into this? Did I miss something and a computer wants an aswer, or is somone at Detroit VARO jerking me around?

Best regards,

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

It took me three years to get my wife added as a dependent (2005-2008), because the VA wanted a divorce decree from a prior marriage that occurred in 1991. I had sent in the correct form and marriage certificate. I told them numerous times that I didn't know where to get it, and their 'duty to assist' obtaining records from a government agency is a joke. It wasn't until I hired a NOVA lawyer for a NOD, that I was directed by him to the correct governmental department.

This hassle saved the VA three years of dependent pay for a wife and step-daughter - which would have really helped, but they don't care.