VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sah Or Sha Housing Grants

Rate this question

Testvet

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

new homes or making your existing home wheel chair accessible

Benefit

The SAH and SHA benefit amount is set by law, but may be adjusted upward annually based on a cost-of-construction index. The maximum dollar amount allowable for SAH grants in fiscal year 2013 is $64,960. The maximum dollar amount allowable for SHA grant in fiscal year 2013 is $12,992. No individual may use the grant benefit more than three times up to the maximum dollar amount allowable.

How to Apply

To apply for a grant, fill out and submit VA Form 26-4555.the Application in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaptation Grant. You can access this form by:

• Applying online via VA Form 26-4555, Application in Acquiring Specially Adapted Housing or Special Home Adaptation Grant and mailing it to your nearest Regional Loan Center.
  • Calling VA toll free at 1-800-827-1000 to have a claim form mailed to you
  • Visiting the nearest VA regional office. Find the office nearest you by visiting VA Regional Office Locations or calling VA toll-free at 1-800-827-1000

Need more information or have questions? Contact a Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) staff member via email at sahinfo.vbaco@va.gov or by phone at (877) 827-3702.

I am pretty sure they will make me go thru another C&P exam for this despite the fact my A&A C&P last year noted the fact that I am wheel chair bound and that walking is not possible due to the severity of my SC heart disease and the fact my ejection fraction is 10% and I have end stage congestive heart failure and have spent 3 months in ICU so far this year.

What we really need is the mortgage insurance that being approved for this grant makes us eligible, we can not buy mortgage insurance due to my SC medical issues I am more than willing to pay whatever the charge is for it, I just hate the idea of my wife being forced to sell her home, we are still to the good side but the property value is still down about 30,000 from 2006, besides to rent a decent apartment or even a smaller home in Columbia SC would cost her about as much as our current payments.

I still think they should make mortgage insurance available to all disabled vets regardless of how badly disabled they are if their SC conditions prevent them from being able to purchase insurance from private insurance companies.

Has anyone else dealt with this program before and how long and difficult is it to work with?

• Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet