Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Advise With Re-Open/new Claim

Rate this question

Fenway77

Question

Hello,

I was diagnosed with 70% PTSD and Moderately Severe Depression by the VA in Aug 2013. At the time of the initial claim I submitted sleep apnea, asthma and allergies. However they were all denied except for the Ptsd. The VA sent me to a sleep clinic and they advised me that I do suffer from sleep apnea. I am afraid that they will say that is due to weight gain. I keep telling my Dr's that I am not well that I am a prisoner in my own house. If anyone could help me please on what I can do.

R

Jake

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Have you seen any outside, non VA doctors?

A second opinion could change a lot if they give you a positive opinion. Reopen needs new evidence or it will be denied. A new claim may be duplicative of an earlier claim that was denied.

The goal is to get a medical opinion that gives the condition a service connection. Example would be that they tie the sleep apnea with the PTSD, that would become a secondary claim to the PTSD. Either way you go, that nexus is the driving force of any claim.

You will need a doctor statement (A nexus statement) that your sleep apnea is as least likely as not caused by or the results of your service connected PTSD. He/she must also give a medical rationale of how the two are related. It is very common for a person to have both PTSD and sleep apnea. You can probably search the PTSD forum here at Hadit.com and find more post like this or you can search the BVA decision site for research.