Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating % From DoD

Rate this question

YaelleG

Question

Hi.  I've been receiving disability from the VA for a few years & don't really see any end in sight, since I'm only getting worse.  I'm actually happy with my VA rating, but it occurred to me that I have NO idea how the military side works.  I was discharged with ... I'm not sure if it was 20% or 30% rating & cant remember where to look to find out.  Does that come with no benefits? Should I have gotten something??

I was in a bad, bad state after brain surgery at the time & certainly couldn't look into it.   I had a lawyer from D.C. appeal my discharge, he was supposed to be requesting TDRL for me, but that went a big fat nowhere.  Never figured out if he even really tried but it was a big waste of $$ & hope.  But anyway, how does that work?? I've tried searching the web but it's impossible to get anywhere.  

Thsnks.  

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Hello, YaelleG...

If you were retired (which I think was not since you are asking about benefits etc.) your rating with the branch you were in would have been 30% or greater. However, if you were medically discharged and severanced then you were rated at 10-20%. Now if you were severanced then no you can expect no benefits from DoD beyond the severance pay. However, the VA and the DoD rating are often wildly out of alignment and you can file for a review of your discharge and the rating you received. To do so you go to....

For the Army: The Army Discharge Review Boards Agency... the others are named the same except for branch. Link for Army here: https://sslapp.hqda.pentagon.mil/acts_online/gui/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2fACTS_Online%2fgui%2flanding.aspx

You can file a complete appeal online by yourself and scan in and submit evidence online and through the mail. There process takes... well it normally takes 12-24 months and then your appeal can be either upheld, denied or no action taken. If you have any other questions about this feel free to contact me.

Six