Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Connected Disabilities

Rate this question

Sirrah66

Question

I was medically discharged in 1991 at 10 or 20 percent disability (sorry I can't remember nor do I have a copy of my medical records). I surgery on the knee and was going to have surgery on both feet but was discharged prior to foot surgery. However, I was receiving treatment for my feet problems. I have had issues with my knee off and on. However, the VA stated that because I was given 10,000.00 when I was discharged that there is nothing they can do. In the meantime I have had a second surgery on the same knee and I strongly believe it is connected to my service connected disability. I also received a waiver at the time of enlistment for having flat feet. The flat feet started giving me issues after I joined the service. And, the flat feet was also being treated while I was in the service. I had surgery to one of my feet after I left the service but the VA wouldn't touch that either. Am I eligible to have my case re-evaluated to have the 10% increased and have the VA consider my feet issues as part of the evaluation?  If anything, what must I do first?  Is there any recourse fir me?  I'm new to this site so any assistance in pointing me to the right resources would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

You can always get re-evaluated. Go to the VA, get an Advanced ID done, and open an Ebenefits account.  You can apply there to request an increase in rating for existing condition, as well as apply for SC for whatever you think you qualify for. They might want to collect the 10k back, but that is down the road after you draw benefits.  You disability ratings should already be on Ebenefits when you log on.

1 hour ago, pwrslm said:

You can always get re-evaluated. Go to the VA, get an Advanced ID done, and open an Ebenefits account.  You can apply there to request an increase in rating for existing condition, as well as apply for SC for whatever you think you qualify for. They might want to collect the 10k back, but that is down the road after you draw benefits.  You disability ratings should already be on Ebenefits when you log on.

Thank you so much for your response. By the way, what is an advance ID and is SC?  I apologize for the many questions. I'm very new at this, as in, 4 hours new. 

Advanced ID is where you go into VA and get them to verify your identity so they can give you the higher DOD account that opens EBenefits.

SC is service connection. 

The only wrong ? is the one you dont ask, thats how I learned too.