Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating for back/nerve issue in upper and lower back

Rate this question

TugnTow

Question

Ok, 

Here's what's going on and my question. My back issue was rated as 40% for DDD Lumbar Spine with Herniated Disc and Lumbar Microdiscectomy, 20% Radiculpathy right lower extrimity and, 10% Radiculpathy Lower Left Extrimity. Bilateral Upper Extrimity radiculpathy was deffered. So I got a call today from the VA and they set me an appointment for tomorrow (plenty of notice right?) and it is to do a nerve study on my upper extrimity for the deffered claim. When I submitted my DBQ's originally the nerve study I had done by an outside neurologist showed nerve problems in my upper and lower back. I didn't specifically claim my upper back but the VA added it in themselves. My question is how would this be rated? I've done some reading and used the VA math chart and I see how they got to 60% and if they gave the upper extrimity a rating of say 10% it doesn't look like it would up my 60% rating but I also read that the upper and lower spine are rated seperately so does that mean that they add the full 10% for the serperate rating making it go up to 70%? I hope I expained the question clearly. I've attached a photo from eBenefits showing what they have on there currently. Its my understanding that nerve problems in the cervical spine can't be related to nerve problems in the Lumbar spine. That just what I've read. I don't really know.

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 5.17.29 PM.jpg

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

1 answer to this question

Hello could be found under here depending on if all nerve groups are affected or just one:

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/uppernerves.html#upper

I have had upper all nerve group initially. Depends on all or just one. Pain to fingers and which fingers etc also. The levels also come into play, it's like 3 different things take in total to come up with the codes.

That link is a start hope it helps some.