VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension And Obstructive Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

yelloownumber5

Question

Hello,

I'm rated for hypertension within my year of retirement 12/2003. In March of 2006, I had my first sleep study and second in Oct and diagnosed with Obstructive sleep apnea and insomnia but did not file a claim because my representitive told me that since this was after the one year period I was "not qualified to file". Anyhow....while on active duty I did complain of day time fatigue and on my physicals but "sleep 10-12 hours but still tired throughout the day and yawnny". I was asked if I snore but being single I did not know....blah blah blah. In 2004 actually my wife did say I have apnea events. While on active duty right before retirement I had a deviated septum which I had surgery on to help with the day time fatigue but that still did not help and I told the doctors such. I did claim the deviated septum but had problems proving the trauma.......anyhow..........

Would it be within reason to file a claim with the Obstructive Sleep Apnea secondary to hyptertension (systemic). Is this resonable on my behalf? I also have GERD which has developed to Barretts Esphogus which I have read causes OSA as well........how do they decide? I also need to request an increas on my GERD from the 10 percent I guess.

Thanks much in advance,

Y#5

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

jbasser,

yes osa is nothing to play with. my wife has it also and not sure what caused it but she has issues with her tricusips valve (spelling?). My internal medicine doctor just dignosed my hypertention as sysmatic, I have many issues and cannot think clearly but I'm thinking that he is saying the hypertension is connected to something, correct?

Thanks.

Sleep Apnea is a condition that aggravates hypertension. Hypertension is listed as essential hypertension for anyone does not know the spacific cause.

If you are service connected for hypertension, OSA can be rated as an aggravation factor. It does not matter if it was developed in service to get connected for it.

Now in the worst case, sleep apnea can also lead to pulmonary hypertension and cardiac problems like right side heart failure. The Electrical circuitry can be disturbed causing the heart to quiver instead of beat to pump blood and a person can die in his sleep suddenly.

I am also trying to get my sleep apnea connected to my gerd,and hypertension. My cardio dr called yesterday and is going to write a letter trying to connect it to the hpertension and cad. If you are interested I will post part of the letter.

i am sc for dmii,cad,pn hypertension (but no rating)

Stillhere

Stillhere,

Sure if you don't mind. I see my sleep doctor this friday. Even though I've been diagnosed with OSA and insomnia my PCM and Internal Medicine doctors WILL NOT give me sleep piils not even at the lowest dosage. They both told me no but in my medical record they wrote something to the extint of told patient to come in and discuss Rx for sleep meds --- C-y-a?

I find that incredible......I've even told them I will not and do not use them daily.....usually I use meletonin but somethings it is nicer to have something that will "knock" you out...I know I can only go about a week with no sleep and then there is hell to pay, lol.

There is a lot of evidence connecting the 3 together. Personall I know I had GERD first, then probably sleep apnea follewed by Hypertension..........whether GERD played a roll or not I don't really know but for your with SA your pressure will take off. Mine was pretty bad 190/120 this was due to stress, NO SLEEP, and I could not use my cpap for about 3 weeks. So please keep rolling with the program to keep it at bay.

Y#5

I am also trying to get my sleep apnea connected to my gerd,and hypertension. My cardio dr called yesterday and is going to write a letter trying to connect it to the hpertension and cad. If you are interested I will post part of the letter.

i am sc for dmii,cad,pn hypertension (but no rating)

Stillhere

Edited by yelloownumber5

Meant to get this to you sooner. Hope it helps. stillhere

To whom it may concern:

I am asked to provide documentation of disability for xxxx. He suffered a myocardial infarction in 2005 with emergency right artery stenting from an occluded right coronary artery. He went on to develop recurrent coronary disease with circumflex stenting in 2006. He has hypertension, hyperlipidemia, diabetes mellitus and sleep apnea. He is mediated on Coreg,Losartin, Aspirin, Metformin and Plavix for his multiple cardiac factors and health conditions. He additionally carries a diagnosis of sleep apnea. It has been established that sleep disorder breathing such as sleep apnea is common in men with coronary artery disease and is associated with coronary artery disease.

I would note that diabetes is a significant risk factor for conorary artery disease. I would note that diabetes mellitus has been identified as a deveolpmental condition following exposure to agent orange. The patient served in Vietnam 1969-1970 with exposure to Agent orange.

On the basis of these notations of sleep apnea, coronary artery disease, diabetes mellitus and hypertension, I would suggest a thorough re-evaluation of his disability status.