VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Outdated information-especially dependents

Rate this question

jimbostaken

Question

I'll try to make this short. Got divorced in 2001, forgot to take my ex-wife off my benefit until maybe 2008, which I discovered when I remarried that year. Oops. This was all corrected and I paid back the balance that they had over-paid me. Everything was adjusted and the VA resumed paying me for one wife and no children, although I never checked eBenefits.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago...my dear wife who I married in '08 passed away two days ago, 8/30/16. Remembering the fiasco of a few years ago, I logged on last night to take her off my dependents list. To my surprise, there was my first wife's name, birth date, social security number, you name it, plus the name of my youngest son who is now 34 years old! I KNOW this was corrected 8 years ago and I KNOW I have been compensated for one dependent, my second wife, for the past 8 years.

How can anything be this screwed up??? Decided to call the VA this morning. As I write this, I am in the black hole of being on-hold with the VA. My next idea is to email the VSO supervisor in Philly. (I had called them about an appeal and another claim I'm waiting on and it took them 2 weeks to call back. I missed the call, called back and that was 5 days ago, so no, calling them again is not on my list of most effective strategies. I've been a DAV Life Member for over 20 years.)

I have a wife to bury, and i really don't need this crap right now, just wanting to be proactive instead of trying to correct something later. Is it common to be unable to do anything useful on eBenefits, besides print out letters?

Update - the VA answered and took care of the matter for me. No new info on my claim or NOD status but the rep was very courteous and professional. 

Thanks

Edited by jimbostaken
New information

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

I'm sorry for your loss.  

To answer your question about ebenefits, its effectiveness is largely dependent upon it working correctly.  It seems like half the time I log in to do something, it is down for "upgrades."