• Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

• Advertisemnt

tk3000

Applying Through The Vonapp & Statement Of The Claim

Question

I was wondering if the so called VOAPP is a more effective way to file a new claim or to appeal a claim (especially considering that the VA is notorious for losing or even shredding important paperwork). It is instantaneous since it uses electronic means to record, store, and relay the claim's information, and it seems to be safe since it uses electronic authentication and encryption.

"

The VONAPP (Veterans On Line Applications) website is an official U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) website, that enables veterans to apply for benefits using the Internet. U.S. military veterans and some service members within six months of separation or retirement can apply for compensation, pension, and vocational rehabilitation benefits.

"

Whenever we file a claim among the papers that we receive to fill out is the "statement of the claim". In my very first claim I did not fill out such form or any equivalent. How important would be such document as far as the claim is concerned.

thanks for any help,

tk3000

4 answers to this question

I've used the VONAPP on my claim(s).

I guess it worked.

It's a lot easier than the pen and paper method, if for no other reason than the fact that when you're done, you're done....no finding an envelope, getting the postage correct, getting it to the post office, etc., and then depending on the post office getting it to the VA, and depending on the VA to "receive" it and send it to the right department. All in all, it does cut out a couple of layers of possible "ooooops's".

Edited by LarryJ

Ad

I was wondering if the so called VOAPP is a more effective way to file a new claim or to appeal a claim (especially considering that the VA is notorious for losing or even shredding important paperwork). It is instantaneous since it uses electronic means to record, store, and relay the claim's information, and it seems to be safe since it uses electronic authentication and encryption.

"

The VONAPP (Veterans On Line Applications) website is an official U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) website, that enables veterans to apply for benefits using the Internet. U.S. military veterans and some service members within six months of separation or retirement can apply for compensation, pension, and vocational rehabilitation benefits.

"

Whenever we file a claim among the papers that we receive to fill out is the "statement of the claim". In my very first claim I did not fill out such form or any equivalent. How important would be such document as far as the claim is concerned.

thanks for any help,

tk3000

On the VA web site, it says that VOAPP is for initial claims only and that if you are already in the system you have to file paperwork through your VARO. Does not make one bit of sense, but that is what they say. Seems like if they had a program smart enough, it would recognize vets who are already in the system and file it in their electronic folder. Then submit it to who ever was working on the claim at that VARO. The rater would receive an email that there was an update to a case he/she was working and could download/upload it to their computer...................whatr a concept...the VA keep up with the rest of the technologic world. They waste so much money on mailing out reminders for appointments and fedex packages. My father-in law gets his insulin from VA and they send individual dosages out through fedex in a box with a cooler and ice packets. How much do you think that costs for each vet! I sure hope this new Vet Chief knows the system and what is broken! Sorry, got on my soapbox there for a minute :rolleyes:

s/Mags

"

"

thanks for any help,

tk3000

I just cut and pasted this from the VONAPP site.

Who should use VONAPP?

If you are applying for education benefits:

You should use VONAPP if you are a U.S. military veteran, a service member with at least 2 years of active duty, a member of the Selected Reserve, or a spouse/dependent of a "service connected" disabled or deceased veteran. If you have previously filed a claim for education benefits, use VONAPP only if you are filing for a different education benefit or if you are changing schools or programs under your current benefit program; for example, if you have used all of your benefits based on your active duty and would now like to apply for benefits based on your Selected Reserve service.

If the benefit you're applying for is not listed as an option on the VONAPP form (REAP Chapter 1607 for example) check unsure for the benefit type, and use the remarks section of the application to indicate which benefit type you want to apply for.

If you have a pending application, don't use VONAPP to resubmit your claim. It will slow down processing. If you would like to know the status of a pending claim, contact the Regional Processing Office by calling 1-888-GI BILL 1 (1-888-442-4551).

Click here to learn more about Education.

If you are applying for compensation, pension, or vocational rehabilitation benefits:

You should use VONAPP if you are a U.S. military veteran who wants to apply for compensation, pension, or vocational rehabilitation benefits using the Internet.

Do not use VONAPP if you:

• <LI class=MsoNormal tab-stops: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: mso-margin-top-alt: 0pt; 0in lfo1 level1 l0 mso-list: .5in; list>Are receiving compensation, pension, or vocational rehabilitation benefits, or <LI class=MsoNormal tab-stops: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: mso-margin-top-alt: 0pt; 0in lfo1 level1 l0 mso-list: .5in; list>Are applying for an increase in benefits, or <LI class=MsoNormal tab-stops: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: mso-margin-top-alt: 0pt; 0in lfo1 level1 l0 mso-list: .5in; list>Already have a pending application for benefits, or
  • Are notifying the VA about dependency or income changes.

Instead, contact the VA Regional Office handling your application or benefit at 1-800-827-1000.

On the VA web site, it says that VOAPP is for initial claims only and that if you are already in the system you have to file paperwork through your VARO. Does not make one bit of sense, but that is what they say. Seems like if they had a program smart enough, it would recognize vets who are already in the system and file it in their electronic folder. Then submit it to who ever was working on the claim at that VARO. The rater would receive an email that there was an update to a case he/she was working and could download/upload it to their computer...................whatr a concept...the VA keep up with the rest of the technologic world. They waste so much money on mailing out reminders for appointments and fedex packages. My father-in law gets his insulin from VA and they send individual dosages out through fedex in a box with a cooler and ice packets. How much do you think that costs for each vet! I sure hope this new Vet Chief knows the system and what is broken! Sorry, got on my soapbox there for a minute :lol:

s/Mags

Mag and LarryJ thanks for the responses

It is really odd. I can not make sense of such restrictions. It can not be a technical reason, it has to be a political or policy issue. Maybe it is all about control.

Another questions occurs to me: I was told that any claim that I intend to file should always go through my VA service representative/office. My VA service representative is a very nice person helped me to file my claims to some extent, but it seems to me that at the same time that he is trying to help me he is also trying to defend VA's interests, he never suggested that I should file another claim for example. The DAV person with who I talked to was much more proactive and instantly tried to point out several claims that I could file.