VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

2nd Ptsd Eval

Rate this question

usmc/usa

Question

Hi All

I discovered this great site a few days ago and wow you guys are great. I'm slowly reading thru the posts and am still a bit confused about a lot of things.

Just a quick intro about myself. I served in the USMC and USA from 1984-1992 and a Desert Storm vet. I Lived in Germany up until 5 years ago and only filed a claim with the VA 2 1/2 years ago, I am 30% SC for PTSD, my other claims were denied due to lack of evidence. I don't have much in my med records because I never went to a doctor for my headaches and others problems that weren't that bad at the time. I know I should have gone to doctors but in my job I couldn't just take time off when appointments were scheduled weeks in advance, and my quitting time was mostly early evenings. I am still trying to obtain copies of my med records from my German doctor with no luck. I spoke to a VA rep about 3 or 4 weeks ago and told him that my other symptoms ,Headaches, stomach and knee problems have become more frequent and severe and that I also no longer have medical insurance due to being laid off work. A week later I started getting letters and forms from the VA to fill out and also an eval appointment for my PTSD.

I had a follow up exam last week and the doc said that basically my PTSD ( depression and insomnia) has worsened, and that she will recommend a higher rating. What or how high of a rating can I expect to get??

I know this next question is unrelated to this PTSD forum but I'll ask anyways, sorry.

I received from the VA rep that I spoke to a month ago, a copy of va form 21-4138 statement in support of claim, that he had written as we spoke. In it he wrote that I am claiming sc headache, blackouts,stomache aches, sc for both knees,tinnitus and sleep apnea. I have an app. this week to have blood taken and on the 18th an app. with a doctor. My headaches have lead to dizzy spells and a few black outs and my stomach aches are a daily thing now especially after I eat. I guess my questions is how good are the chances of getting a rating for these problems with little med references ??

Sorry for the long post, I've been having problems trying to understand how things are done with the VA. I get confused and feel like a 4 year old at times because the simplest things sometimes make no sense to me. I love my wife for not losing her patience with me, most of the time atleast.

Thank you in advance for any advice and help you can give me.

Rob

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

First off let me thank you for your Service and welcome you to Hadit where Vets help each other.

Are you able to work at all. In the big scheme of things a 30% rating is pretty much a low ball for PTSD.

Your other problems may be dug out of your records but another way is to consult with a Doc and get an opinion that documents you diagnosis to your service.

Good Luck give the Board some more details and help is sure to come.

First off let me thank you for your Service and welcome you to Hadit where Vets help each other.

Are you able to work at all. In the big scheme of things a 30% rating is pretty much a low ball for PTSD.

Your other problems may be dug out of your records but another way is to consult with a Doc and get an opinion that documents you diagnosis to your service.

Good Luck give the Board some more details and help is sure to come.

Thanks for your reply. I am able to work , work is pretty slow so they laid 4 of us off. I'm worried that I may have another bad dizzy spell and fall again on the job when I do go back to work. I'm extremely cautious lately especially when I drive alone, I've had dizzy spells and hot flashes while driving.

I had seen a doc prior to being laid of work and still had med insurance, I submitted these records with my claim. I had only gone once to see a doctor, in Aug 08, he wrote something about the dizzy spells and that I was in desert storm. I will have to find my copie to see exactly what he wrote. Once I get my VIC card I will start going to the VAMC more often and hopefully get treated for my problems.

Rob

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are not working and you are diagnosed with PTSD 30% is a lowball. You need to consider how to go about getting your earned benefits. By the way VA has a Voc Rehab plan that you probably would qualify for and part of it is an evaluation to see if employment is feasible

Good Luck

I spoke to some one at the VA 2 weeks ago about the Voc Rehab and filled out the paper work, he said I qualify for it. I Haven't turned in the VA form 2 8-1900 form yet because I didn't know if I should wait til after the up coming appointments. What kind of evaluation would that be, and does it help me with my sc claim rating? I'll send it off to the VARO asap and will talk to the Vov Rehab rep when I go there tomorrow. Thank you for your help and advice, I've learned a lot reading these forums.

It's been three weeks now since I had the second c&p for my PTSD and no news yet. I saw my primary Doc on the 18th and that rose the stress level thru the roof. I think it went pretty good considering she was in a big hurry and didn't quite listen to what I had to say, cut me off in mid sentence most of the time. One positive thing she said (I hope) was that my med problems are not accute, but reacurring. She seemed surprised and kept asking why I never seeked med attention in the 17+ years that I've had the problems, until I said (3rd time) that I did in Germany and that I'm having a hard time getting the records.

I basically have a bunch of appt's ahead. Went for the Xrays and EKG and have an MRI scheduled for 2 July. I am waiting for an appt for colanoscopy and a neuro appt. I hope all this will help in my claim, what do you think? Any other helpful advice would be great. I've learned ( my wife too ) so much since I've been reading this forum, you guys and gals are great.

Oh yes before I forget, I have started the ball rooling with Voc Rehab and am waiting on those appt's.

Rob