VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Claim Filings, Is There A List Of Needed Documents?

Rate this question

prollins

Question

I have a question about completing a PTSD Claim and what documents are needed. I would like to list out my case and see if anyone wants to comment on what they would suggest for documentary evidence. I don't want to tell my story, the only reason that I am listing the details is for help with the documentation. I will list what I can get from buddy's and family at the end.

I was USN and went from training straight to Bahrain. Kuwait, etc. Final duty station was San Diego California. I had no problems and had a OCS package ready to submit.

While at home on Sunday my roommate and I were attacked by a fellow service member. That other service member called us, threatened me, and we called the police to report it. They said to call back if he showed up. We left for two hours to avoid the situation and went back home. He showed up later when I was doing laundry and my buddy was showering. We fought physically, using nightsticks, a sword, and at one point a gun, the gun being used by him to shoot at me from about ten feet away while I was running away from him.

He was arrested at the scene, the incident turned over to the JAG so the city of san diego had a lighter case load. For my part, I was not even handcuffed by the local sheriffs, nor did I have to give a statement. There were about 20+ witnesses to the outside fighting and we had made the call to them when he threatened. He received 90 days at miramar and reduction in rate for his actions and was allowed to stay in the navy. He claimed that when he shot, the hammer on the gun was back and he shot in the air to make it safe. (yes, that is in the court record too unbelievably)

A year after the incident, after being told I was the reason my buddy was alive (don't want to tell the whole story) and that I did everything right, the command arrested my without warning and charged my with hitting him with a stick and trying to shoot him. At that time he had called and threatened, showed up and broken in, attacked both of us, chased me and shot at me, and had re entered the apartment. I ran back in because he was going back after my buddy again. I had already gotten him away from S and out of the apartment once. I got him out again by fighting him and trying to shoot him, he would be dead but the gun was empty by then.

I was shocked and super angry. I was told that the command wanted this shut up due to the decommissioning ceremonies and that if I did not plead guilty and take the deal I was going to go away for 5 to ten on attempted murder and that this had already been decided. I tried to call out but they kept me from getting any help from outside attorneys. I spent 72 days in the brig where I was sexually and physically assaulted by a guard. I was forced to have dental procedures while there that were against my consent.

When I was released I went before an admin board for my discharge and they asked me at the end if I had any thing to say. I asked if I could speak candidly and they said yes. I told them I did recognize their ranks and respected them as officers and also as men that had reached that level in their respective fields. I told them about everything I did that day and why and told them that I had been effectively punished for NOT leaving a buddy behind. I told them that if I had not done what I had done to save us both then we would be dead or I would be court martialed for being an xxxxxxx coward that left a fellow service member behind. stupid. I told them my grandpa served in Korea and my dad was a grunt in Vietnam so I came from a military family as a right of passage. If this was the new standard for the military then it didn't matter what they gave me, the entire country could kiss my ass. And that was a quote.

I got an Honorable Discharge anyway.

So these things caused me problems that my shrinks say will take a while to work through. I was homeless for a while, and have many problems.

I have symptoms of GWS, PTSD, depression….lots of stuff it really doesn't matter.

I have for documentation or can get easily...

Buddy letter from S that was there. He was my roommate and participated in the incident. He has been rated 50% ptsd for his symptoms. He has symptoms for 100% and will appeal if he can.

Buddy letter from an O5 that I served with during that time and he directly supervised my some higher that classified stuff, I had a top secret clearance in some areas at that time.

Buddy letter from my direct supervisor at the time.

Statements from other command personnel that I worked with testifying to my actions and personality before and after.

Statements from my parents that have been supporting me for years, I have not worked.

Statements from wife and kids about my issues.

Statements from past employers.

I have been going every week for one on one PTSD counseling but have not been wanting to travel to the MST clinic. They are kind and say I can wait til I am ready.

My VA doc did a DBQ and is writing a letter for me. He listed me in my record as 100% level PTSD.

I don't know if I would be benefiting from requesting any other evaluations like a C and P exam or exactly what I should do next. I don't want to crowd the claim with useless paperwork but I also don't want to leave out anything that would help push it past.

I also am trying to learn from searching the forum about TDIU and how to do that as well because I have read the regs and know that I qualify for that.

I hid from the government for years in paranoia and didn't work. I don't have a long treatment history but I have lots of people around me that have known me forever that can bear witness. It took me three years just to go register with the VA, I thought that when I did they would arrest me. I was pretty far gone.

I will also say that in this time of VA turmoil, that the Athens GA VA clinic has been a life saver for me. I know that some of us suffer at the VA but I also wanted to say something positive about the clinic that I go to now in case there are any others like me that need to hear that they are not going to die if they have to go there.

Anyway, long post but I wanted to get it all out there and I will try to post on this to add what I learn in case it helps anyone else.

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question