Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fractured Clavicle

Rate this question

les

Question

I have several appeals going on but this one is the one I am waiting for. I broke my collar bone in 1973. I was awarded service conected in 2004 at 0%. At my C&P I had a x-ray taken and showed a deformed clavicle.My complaint was pain, weakness, stiffness, and lack of endurance of my shoulder. I take vicodan 3 times a day for pain. The Dr. used a goniometry. I had limited motion. the dr. ask me to take a MRI in which I did. The MRI came back as impression 1. Abnormal appearance to the distal supraspinatius tendon at the attatchment/footplate on the humeral head suggestive of full thickness tear. No tendon or muscle retraction. 2. Very small amount of subdeltoid bursa fluid and fluid adjacent to the Supraspinatus tendon. 3 No other acute or significant findings. This is the diagnosis from the c%p DR. prior to the MRI Fracture left clavicle with possible rotator cuff tear. Mri of the shoulder is pending. Addendum The results of MRI 5/16/07 was reveiwed. There is full thickness tear at the distal suprospinatous tendon attachment at the humeral head plate. The tear is at least as likely as not related to the clavicle injury in military exercise at 1973. Now after 3 years in appeal does anyone think this might raise my curent 0%. And allso anyone know the time frame for a desicion c&p got back to DRO on 6/4/07

Edited by les

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

It could raise it if the limitation of motion meets a higher rating requirement. I do not understand why your appeal would go back to a rating board. If it is in appeal and under DRO review then the DRO will make the new decision on the rating.

It could raise it if the limitation of motion meets a higher rating requirement. I do not understand why your appeal would go back to a rating board. If it is in appeal and under DRO review then the DRO will make the new decision on the rating.

I'm sorry maybe it did go back to the DRO. Thanks for the input!

MEDICAL HISTORY/SUBJECTIVE COMPLAINT: Veteran is in the office for an exam of the left clavicle which he injured in 1973 in the Army during a football exercise. He says that he has pain, weakness,stiffness,and lack of endurance. He has flare up of the joint when the weather gets cold, that is when he has precipitating pain; alleviating factor is a warm shower. He states that severity, frequency, and duration is when it is about 7/10 to 10/10; he always has pain, it happens daily especially when he sleeps and lays on the shoulder. He talkes Hydrocodone all the time, 3x per day for pain. He does not use any crutches, braces, cane, or corrective device. He has had no surgery. He does use neck braces to support his neck especially when he is driving for long hours. The veteran is right handed, and he does not use his left hand very much because he has limited range of motion. There are no implants.

PHYSICAL EXAMINATION: using goniometry, I measured mild passive and active range of motion of shoulder, and normal range of motion was measured at 0 degrees with opposition, forward supination, and pronation, and they were normal. Shoulder rotation was measured with arm abducted to 90 degrees, able to flex to 90 degrees, and shoulder forward flexion was from 0-180 degees. Veteran has problems at 90 degrees, started having pain at 90 degrees. Shoulder abduction was 0-180 degrees, and veteran had pain agian at 90 degrees in the left shoulder. Shoulder external rotation was 1-90 degrees with pain at 60 degrees.shoulder internal rotation 0-90 degrees, but veteran had pain at 60 degrees. Repetitive range of motion of the shoulder in forward flexion, at least three repetitions were done, and veteran had agian problems at foward flexion at 90 degrees and shoulder abduction was at 90 degrees. Also,external rotation and internal rotation limitation was at 60 degrees were he said that he has pain. He was repeating more than three in all these directions.

DIAGNOSTICS/CLINICLE TESTING: X-rays showed that the fracture of the clavicle is healing. There is no dislocation or breaking of the bones, at this point, MRI is pending.

Edited by les

5/16/07 status completed The result of MRI from 5/16/07 was reviewed. There is full thickness tear at distal suprospinatous tendon attachment at humeral head plate. The tear is at least as likely as not related to the clavicle injury in military exercise at 1973.

I'm sorry forgot to add does this appear to be a rateable claim?

I have several appeals going on but this one is the one I am waiting for. I broke my collar bone in 1973. I was awarded service conected in 2004 at 0%. At my C&P I had a x-ray taken and showed a deformed clavicle.My complaint was pain, weakness, stiffness, and lack of endurance of my shoulder. I take vicodan 3 times a day for pain. The Dr. used a goniometry. I had limited motion. the dr. ask me to take a MRI in which I did. The MRI came back as impression 1. Abnormal appearance to the distal supraspinatius tendon at the attatchment/footplate on the humeral head suggestive of full thickness tear. No tendon or muscle retraction. 2. Very small amount of subdeltoid bursa fluid and fluid adjacent to the Supraspinatus tendon. 3 No other acute or significant findings. This is the diagnosis from the c%p DR. prior to the MRI Fracture left clavicle with possible rotator cuff tear. Mri of the shoulder is pending. Addendum The results of MRI 5/16/07 was reveiwed. There is full thickness tear at the distal suprospinatous tendon attachment at the humeral head plate. The tear is at least as likely as not related to the clavicle injury in military exercise at 1973. Now after 3 years in appeal does anyone think this might raise my curent 0%. And allso anyone know the time frame for a desicion c&p got back to DRO on 6/4/07

I called va last thursday and they told me they sent a SOC with a form 9. I called today and they said my claims were pending. Now I am confused!!!!!!! Can anyone pick this apart and tell me what in the hell are they trying to tell me! LOL

Edited by les