Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can Va Comp Effect Future Employment?

Rate this question

soontoretire

Question

I have a quick question...I am getting ready to go to a physical exam for VA Comp...I am active duty, getting ready to retire with 23 years in. If you get a rating for a condition, can it effect your employability in the civilian sector? Say a 10% for lower back pain...Can this affect me when I go to apply for a job as a civilian? If I can not get a job after the military the 10% is not much help, I will not put in for it...

Thanks in advance

Don't know if this post has been covered or I am in the right forum....thanks

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

It is not the compensation that would effect your ability to get a civilian job (although getting 100% for a psychiatric condition does have an effect), it is the disability that may hurt you. If you have lower back pain and cannot do a job that requires lifting, then you need to find a job that does not require lifting. I have only had one type of potential employer even ask me about a disability rating and that was local, state, and federal government jobs and that was because you are supposed to get a hirng preference.

Actually, I think age was more of a factor for me after I retired after 26 years in 2004

Edited by huskerfanfl

How would an employer ever know you had a 10% (or higher rated) disability unless you told him/her?

That's one reason I'm sure why many of us vets do not ever mention to a potential employer -- on the application or verbally -- any VA disabilities we have.

In your case, for your own well-being as already has been mentioned, you'd need to take a job that wouldn't aggravate your condition but otherwise, you could keep any disability private especially since it's minor.

At least you have a physical disability...imagine vets with mental disorders...even at 10%, who would want to hire a "mental case?" Despite it being 2007, most people still have very negative ideas about mental disorders, that people with them are dangerous, a walking time bomb, a workplace shooter, etc. So it could be worse for you.

Until employers wise up re: people with disabilities I think that not volunteering any info re: one's disability is the prudent thing to do, especialy if it's not something serious or not obvious to anyone.

I believe they are more understanding about physical disabilities, but even then they may not want to take the chance. They can't LEGALLY discriminate against you due to a disability but it probably happens all the time (did to me) and PROVING that they do is almost impossible. Like when they don't hire you because they think you're too old...that's illegal, too, but they do it. Your age can't be kept private, but a 10% back disability probably can.

Considering all that, I think you should keep it your little secret...

Regardless, before you get out get ANY medical problems documented AND copies of your records for yourself. Years down the road, if your back gets worse or other issues come up, you will have an easier time establishing service-connection for them, then, you just need to get a rating. So I suggest you get at least your back covered NOW...then ask yourself if a VA disability rating of 10% ($115/month) is something you can let go or use.

-- John D.

I have a quick question...I am getting ready to go to a physical exam for VA Comp...I am active duty, getting ready to retire with 23 years in. If you get a rating for a condition, can it effect your employability in the civilian sector? Say a 10% for lower back pain...Can this affect me when I go to apply for a job as a civilian? If I can not get a job after the military the 10% is not much help, I will not put in for it...

Thanks in advance

Don't know if this post has been covered or I am in the right forum....thanks

Edited by cloudcroft

I remember that when my husband first retired, we had more of an issue with employers noting he was a military retiree, knowing (without his bringing up the subject) that he received a pension, rather than with his receiving disability comp. They would either hedge away from the starting wage quoted, or in the case of a couple of sales positions, they would alter the commission plan after he started working.

So, some advice from folks who've been there, done that. If the employer even remotely hints at any discussion that involves your military retirement, run and do not walk to the nearest exit and get out of there.

We never mentioned the disability comp, however, when your military service is almost the entirety of your resume, along with the length of service, that's rather hard not to discuss with a potential employer.

My husband had a rule. If the employer either messed with his money or talked badly to him, he'd go fishing (his way of saying he'd walk). That happened quite often in the civilian world at the beginning of his retirement. Don't feel badly if you go through several jobs until you find the right one.

Personally, I believe any veteran who leaves the military either sick or broken in some way, shape, or form needs to file for compensation. The degree of disability today may be much worse down the road, and the veteran can't foresee to what extent that disability will interfere with either the veteran's ability to work or quality of life. Your lumbar spine condition, for instance, can influence your gait, posture, and also affect your cervical spine. You may have FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) issues with your back, and with a formal history of problems, may have an easier time getting an employer with 50 or more employees to authorize medical leave for this condition without getting fired due to doctor's visits and sick time (not to exceed 12 weeks per year). There are a whole host of reasons you should file for what is due you, and frankly, your retirement and disability pensions are nobody's business but your own. So get a copy of your medical and personnel records, start reviewing them and file for whatever isn't in the same working condition that it was when you enlisted.

Edited by vaf

I think that being a veteran helps with getting jobs. There are many places that give them extra benefits and preference. This is just my opinion, but I'd not turn down any disability comp that you might get from the VA. Who knows when it will get worse and then you need to put in for an increase. But, like I said....just my opinion on that.

Good luck and thanks for your service!

Gwen