Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Ptsd C&p

Rate this question

Jerry_O

Question

My C&P results for medical (mostly heart problems) have not been released.

As I said before I am presently 30% for PTSD that was awarded in 1991 or 92 but I never knew you could have it reexamined for an increase. I am 60%. I'm just trying to do some quality of life and financial planning as my wife will soon be incapacitated due to breast cancer.

I would greatly appreciate any advice from anyone with experience on PTSD rating on what I might expect. Anything from worst case scenario to best case.

Axis I: PTSD with secondary major depression.

Axis II: None identified

Axis III: Disabetes, broken knuckle, depression, PTSD, pulmonary, cardiac, cataracts, HTN, neuropathy, ED.

Axis IV: Strained relationship with oldest son, who has drug and financial problems; inadequate social support; health problems, recently moved and trying to sell old home.

Axis V: Current GAF = 50-55 due to PTSD (periods of suicidal ideation or thoughts of death, depressed, isolated, flat affect, occasional panic attack, has only one friend but rarely interacts with him, difficulty concerntrating, difficulty sleeping w/o medication, anxiety).

Capacity: Veteran has the capacity to manage his financial affairs.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

You are 60 % now? do you mean the 30 for PTSD and also something else ?

Are you unemployed -if so did you file for TDIU-? are you an incountry Vietnam vet and if so have you claimed the diabetes and almost all of the other conditions as secondary due to diabetes from

Agent Orange?

The HTN, PN, Heart disease,cataracts, (pulmonary possibly), the ED--if their etiology (cause) is the diabetes and this gets SCed then these are all most likely secondary to the diabetes.

Planning ahead- I believe every vet and widow should do that- and make sure the spouse knows where your DD 214 and all the VA award letters are, as well as birth certificates, etc-insurance policies, whether you are an organ donor or not,

and make a list of all of your PC passwords for the spouse too.

AND make sure the spouse puts all of your awards in the obituary and also that they contact the American Legion right away of you want a military burial.

The organ donor bank calls within hours of someones death.

not a time to fuss on that -time for the spouse to state your wishes.

They must know right away on the organ stuff.

They autopsy you for free if you donate your eyes, organs, skin, bones etc. and sometimes an autopsy is the only way the spouse can get DIC.

Because the autopsy uncovers more detail than a death certificate can.

Jeery- I didnt measn to get "tangential" as the VA shrinks would call it- you are dealing with a lot and I admire you for thinking ahead-

I just hope vets have their stuff in order for the spouse when they die.

I know how difficult it is to think of the outcomes of your wife's problems.

You are being realistic . That should give you some peace in the long run because you are dealing with this now.

Edited by Berta

Thank you Berta - As always you are direct, to the point, and ever so kind. Yes I am 30% now for PTSD and 20% for DMII, 10%for hearing and 10% skin condition. That totals 60% all SC. I'm a retiree as well and I am wondering if, looking at my C&P PTSD Axis if anyone would venture to say I may get an increase to 50% or 70%. My two heart attacks and other maladies as noted on the C&P have not been rated.

Thank you.

Jerry

• HadIt.com Elder

Jerry,

Based on just the AXIS V, it would appear that you should be rated at 50% for the PTSD. However, it is largely dependent on what the entire C&P exam states; whether it coincides with the AXIS V or not , and what your private treatment recods show as symptoms.

If you're already service-connected for DMII, have you filed a claim for cataracts and neuropathy as secondary to the DMII????

Vike 17

Jerry,

The "flattened effect" in your AXIS V is in the 50% category in the DSM IV and 38CFR4.

The "Suicidal Ideation" in your AXIS V is in the 70% category in the DSM IV and 38CFR4.

A Claimant need not have all the symptoms listed within each category, so in my honest opinion I would not accept anything less than 70% as it is the higher of the two evaluations based on the criterion set forth in the 38CFR4.

If less than 70%, somebody did not read the "suicidal ideation" in AXIS V and it is more than likely a certainty that "suicidal ideation" and "Thoughts of Death" are more in depth in the complete C&P evaluation report.

Just my take!!!! Go to the CFR yourself and you will see "suicidal ideation" is 70%.

Rocky - Thank you. I read the CRF and I wasn't sure if all requirements had to be met. I am of the opinon that my two heart attacks (one on active duty) and my other that required triple bypass were directly related to PTSD and my last stint in the Army Aug 04 - Aug 06 was with casualty and mortuary affairs. Best job I had in the Army and the worst job I had in the Army. It really had an adverse effect on my PTSD that was noticed after returning from RVN in '69.

I called KC VA and asked them if they would expidite out of C&P to St. Louis, MO RO since my wife was just diagnosed with milignant breast cancer and I need to plan our quality of life based on projected and reduced income.

I'm rambling - thanks Rocky. And thank you Viking and Bertha!