Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Filed For Ivds

Rate this question

wallyg

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

...where the doctor was totally incompetent. He held the goniometer about a foot away from me, with both hands, while determing ROM. For those who don't know, the goniometer should be held against the patient with one hand, while the other hand stabilizes the opposing joint, to get a true reading.

He had no reflex hammer, or tool for determining sensitivity, instead he used the goniometer. He made no attempt to determine ROM for the neck or hips, all he tried to do was the spine. Then, although the cervical spine is at least as bad as the lumbar spine, he only scheduled me for a lumbar MRI. When I asked if he wasn't going to schedule an EMG/NCV he said, "Oh, your neurologist should do that."

When I pointed out that for IVDS an EMG/NCV was standard, he left the room to consult someone else, before coming back and agreeing that I needed one. Then only scheduled that for lower extremities.

I just had the EMG/NCV today, a little painful, and then went for the MRI to one I had set up myself, since OPC could not find one that was accredited, that could handle anyone with a waist over 40". I went through a lot of hassle at the VA over Travel Pay, since they decided to change the rules, without bothering to tell anyone; that's another fight where I need to investigate current rules, and the conversion rate from dollars to pesos, and mile to kilometers.

Then I went to the other hospital, where I have had MRIs before, only to find that their abdominal belt was out of order, and they had to get a new one from Japan. They tried me on old machine, but the signal was lousy, so they gave up, and gave me my money back.

Now I have to go down on Wednesday for an MRI at another hospital, where OPC has just accredited their new equipment.

I am busy putting together a formal complaint; to include extracts from the standard training book for Goniometry; references to the IVDS Training Letter; plus a complete rebuttal of this 1.7 hour C&P. The longest I have ever had, and the most completely useless.

I am also trying to work part time as QA for Medical Transcription on the old Clark AB. The transcribers are all Pilipino, and many of the medical personnel doing the dictation are from non-English speaking countries, so sometimes the results are hilarious. With all the running back and forward to Manila, I can't earn any money, and the transportation costs are high, now that they have increased the toll fees by 450% and gasoline costs are double what they were at the beginning of the year.

;) :angry: :( B)

Fight the VA as if they are the enemy; for they are!

Erin go Bragh

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

...where the doctor was totally incompetent. He held the goniometer about a foot away from me, with both hands, while determing ROM. For those who don't know, the goniometer should be held against the patient with one hand, while the other hand stabilizes the opposing joint, to get a true reading.

He had no reflex hammer, or tool for determining sensitivity, instead he used the goniometer. He made no attempt to determine ROM for the neck or hips, all he tried to do was the spine. Then, although the cervical spine is at least as bad as the lumbar spine, he only scheduled me for a lumbar MRI. When I asked if he wasn't going to schedule an EMG/NCV he said, "Oh, your neurologist should do that."

When I pointed out that for IVDS an EMG/NCV was standard, he left the room to consult someone else, before coming back and agreeing that I needed one. Then only scheduled that for lower extremities.

I just had the EMG/NCV today, a little painful, and then went for the MRI to one I had set up myself, since OPC could not find one that was accredited, that could handle anyone with a waist over 40". I went through a lot of hassle at the VA over Travel Pay, since they decided to change the rules, without bothering to tell anyone; that's another fight where I need to investigate current rules, and the conversion rate from dollars to pesos, and mile to kilometers.

Then I went to the other hospital, where I have had MRIs before, only to find that their abdominal belt was out of order, and they had to get a new one from Japan. They tried me on old machine, but the signal was lousy, so they gave up, and gave me my money back.

Now I have to go down on Wednesday for an MRI at another hospital, where OPC has just accredited their new equipment.

I am busy putting together a formal complaint; to include extracts from the standard training book for Goniometry; references to the IVDS Training Letter; plus a complete rebuttal of this 1.7 hour C&P. The longest I have ever had, and the most completely useless.

I am also trying to work part time as QA for Medical Transcription on the old Clark AB. The transcribers are all Pilipino, and many of the medical personnel doing the dictation are from non-English speaking countries, so sometimes the results are hilarious. With all the running back and forward to Manila, I can't earn any money, and the transportation costs are high, now that they have increased the toll fees by 450% and gasoline costs are double what they were at the beginning of the year.

;) :angry: :( B)

Walter- the new VBM again highlights the changes to IVD syndrome-

and the training letter they sent out to all VAMCs had a revised worksheet with it-

I cant determine if this Nov 2003 C & P is the one they mean that is revised or if there is more to it---

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm53.htm

The VBM (page 419) makes this point- that the examination should separate the chronic orthopedic and neurological evaluations as this "is the method most beneficial to the veteran and shoud be the basis of the evaluation."

I haven't found the worksheet in the VBM or at VA yet-

It says it is a training letter dated 02-04

what a rigamorale!!!! a disgrace that a veteran has to go through what you are going through-

Has Manila ever been looked into by the IG?

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Berta, the Tng letter is at Appendix 5G.

I have to go to Manila in the morning, for another try at getting the MRI.

I am also formulating a detailed complaint to submit about the incompetent doctor. Probably won't do any good, but MAY get me another C&P.

Fight the VA as if they are the enemy; for they are!

Erin go Bragh

Wally. see if you can get your MRI stored on a cd rom. Then package it good and call Dr Bash and see if he can give you a IMO. He is a Neuro-radiologist and your condition is right down his alley. He may charge a fee but his IMO will be more than helpful. His Link is on the site. Oh and by the way, eat a bite of Lumpia for me. Maybe chase it with a san miguel.

A little off subject, But: Since Lumpia was mentioned, could anyone give me a good recipe for it?

It's been some time since I had any good Lumpia and dipping sauce. My one vice left to me, good food, and they want to take that away from me as well.

Jim S. ;)