Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rating Decision

Rate this question

drt773

Question

I got my decions 50% total due to back injuries in OIF and OEF. I also was medically with 50% for the same. I had less than 20 years service. My question is will my AF retirement pay be cut due the VA rating or what. I'm not really understanding this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

i understand that a new law has been, or will be taking effect that you can collect both military retirement as well as v.a. compensation, and the difference will not be taken out of your retirement pension.

I believe you are refering to concurrent receipt which would likely not cover this invdividual, though some lawmakers are trying to expand/rush the law.

Anywho, in your case, you will get whichever is higher (factoring in that VA is non-taxed and military is taxed). They really should pay both rates considering every other governmental agency gets their pension + disability money, but that's another debate I suppose....

By the way, are you still on a TDRL (temporary retirement list)? If so, you will still need to be reevaluated by your branch of service within the time designated on your medical boarding (usually 2-3 years I think).

P.S. - I *believe* there is a law that states that the VA must rate you at 50%, at least, upon your initial rating if you are rated within a set period of being medically discharged (6 months I think)......my memory on this one is shaky and it might only apply to PTSD, but I think it's for any SC condition that you are boarded for. This also means that the VA could go lower in a future exam, which could be scheduled fairly soon after that initial rating.....

Edited by Jay Johnson

Martin- you mean CRDP and CRSC-

I posted considerable info on these programs from DOD- available under the search feature and also- go to Military.com veterans issues for more info

or the DFAS site and of course defense link-

it pays for any retiree to check out these programs.

http://www.defenselink.mil/prhome/mppcrsc.html

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.