• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Pete53

Rate this question

jessie0054

Question

:huh:

Hey Pete53

I sent my mother out to my Brother's Service Officer yesterday to pick up the form for A&A and while there the SO made an appointment today for my brother at the VA.

The DR. filled out the report and on the top of the form she put my brother as the Veteran but put my mother as the Claimant. IS She the Claimant and not mt brother?

The DR. said NO that my brother is unable to take care of his own personal needs or the act of nature and is unable to leave home alone. [ I guess this is good?? for the A&A right??]

It is also noted that the VA is sending out a visiting Nurse for several visits in the next couple weeks because the DR. said my brother isn't taking all his medications that he is surposed to be taking. [ I didn't know the VA did this]

If he should get the A&A how much would it raise his NSC Pension??

Is there anything else to do but sit back and wait for the C&P??

Should i be getting togather any of his medical records to send??

Can i write a letter in support of his claim??

I know this is a lot of questions but want to make sure i do it right.

:) Thanks

Jessie

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Jessie:

If they go the route of your Mom being the Claimant than I am pretty sure that he w have to have someone to manage his funds. From your description it looks like he should qualify. The VA sent a nurse out to assist me for 5 weeks organize my meds better.

They paid me an extra 295 but I was 100% but I would guess that it should be the same.

Jessie don't worry cause the facts are the facts and it looks like your brother has already benefited with a little closer attention.

My nurse came out for fourth visit and we made a computer list of all my meds and the dosage amounts and I am set up for a week in my pill box. She wanted my son to manage my medication but that did not work out.

I think that this will probably either be approved or denied quickly. Seems to me that you have all the ducks in a row.

If he gets A&A and I hope he does there will be other stuff that VA will do to help out.

Pete

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Jessie:

Hey Pete Thanks,

If they go the route of your Mom being the Claimant than I am pretty sure that he w have to have someone to manage his funds. From your description it looks like he should qualify. The VA sent a nurse out to assist me for 5 weeks organize my meds better.

Do you think they would appoint my Mother to manage his funds?? I really wouldn't want someone outside to do this.

Jessie don't worry cause the facts are the facts and it looks like your brother has already benefited with a little closer attention.

Yes, My Brother is doing better since he is now living with my Mother. About 6 months after his wife died he was living with his step daughter and her husband out in Kansas and for that 6 months we had no contact with him. Our letter went unanswered and we couldn't reach him by phone even though we left many messages, Finaly my sister and i drove out unannounced for a visit and found him living in awful conditions. He hadn't shaved in weeks or changed clothing in as long or had a hair cut in months . The step daughter didn't even want us to come inside the house and tried to block us with her foot against the door, But i told her we had driven that far and we were going to see him. You wouldn't believe the inside of the house [ You can proably get a mental image with 4 dogs in the house that were not house broken!!

We took my brother out and got new clothing and a bath at our motel, Got him a hair cut Took him to eat and to talk to him to see what was going on. Seems the step daughter and her husband were using my brothers funds to pay their bill and by the food that my brother only got to eat one meal aday. We insisted that he come home!!

My nurse came out for fourth visit and we made a computer list of all my meds and the dosage amounts and I am set up for a week in my pill box.

They gave my mother a computer list of his medications and time and dosage today, But i guess the Nurse will monitor how they get along with it.

If he gets A&A and I hope he does there will be other stuff that VA will do to help out.

Thanks for your quick reply!! I appreciate it. :huh:

Jessie

• HadIt.com Elder

Jessie:

Thank God you saved your brother. I know that you were dealing with family but I just cringe when I hear how poorly some of our ill brothers are treated.

I think that the claim for A&A will move fairly quickly. Its a new claim so that helps.

Jessie:

Thank God you saved your brother. I know that you were dealing with family but I just cringe when I hear how poorly some of our ill brothers are treated.

I think that the claim for A&A will move fairly quickly. Its a new claim so that helps.

:huh: Thanks Pete:

Yes he is much better at home with his family now. Mother is surposed to call the SO before she takes the A&A form back out to him.

She said that the SO was a bit rude to her the other day because she just popped in to get the form without first calling for an appointment.

I ask her if he had other's waiting and she said no his office was empty.

I told her when she go's back after she makes the appointment to just drop off the form and he is still rude to her we might have to consider getting another SO. No need for him to be so rude to her or anybody in my book. :)

Jessie

• HadIt.com Elder

There is absolutely no good reason to be rude to a Veterans Mom or a Veteran for that matter. By the way there is no reason for a Veteran to be rude to someone who is trying to help either.

I would take that the SO's rudeness was a sign of stress and since there was no one in the office that makes it even more suspect. I take it that you are dealing long distance on these issues but fortunately I think that you are in the home stretch.

There is absolutely no good reason to be rude to a Veterans Mom or a Veteran for that matter. By the way there is no reason for a Veteran to be rude to someone who is trying to help either.

I would take that the SO's rudeness was a sign of stress and since there was no one in the office that makes it even more suspect. I take it that you are dealing long distance on these issues but fortunately I think that you are in the home stretch.

:rolleyes: Hello again Pete:

I just talked to my mother and she said the SO mood was better today, So i'm thinking he was having a bad day.

Yes, I'm trying to deal with this by long distance and i hate to put more load on my Mother, But she's right there and doesn't seem to mind the extra running.

But thanks to you for your help!!

It is appreciated.

Jessie