Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need Advice On Filing Ibs /sleep Disorder/ Joint Pain Claim

Rate this question

epping

Question

I realize this may sound silly but I need some advice. BTW., I've been through this whole forum and others, so I have read the info, it's just too much to digest.

I'm PGW vet, I have all the symptoms of IBS and have for years (however, no mention of it in SMR). I also have chronic sleep disorder. I went to the gulf war registry exam. I talked about the sleep disorder (night sweats, nightmares, cannot stay asleep without meds, etc). I also talked about chronically painful joints. (I'm still in my thirties but I feel like I'm 90)

A few weeks later I got a letter thanking me for participating, at the bottom of the letter, it stated, 'you have the following major health problems: sleep disorder, joint pain, mood disorder (the last item, while true, was never discussed in the environmental registry exam!?)

He scheduled me to go see the sleep clinic, which I'm supposed to be going to soon. I also was sent to my new primary care Dr. He asked a few PTSD questions. I told him I'd started seeing the Vet center for that, and he said he would make a consult to Mental Health. Also, he referred me to the GI consult.

What does it take to successfully file an IBS claim for PGW vet, if there is not mention in the SMR? I know this a 'presumptive condition'. I have complained and been seen by the VA about it in the past but they never did a GI referral. If they do a GI workup and find nothing, then what happens to my claim.

As far as the joint pain goes, that has been increasingly problematic for me and has no apparent cause. The Rheum tests and other blood tests all came back negative, so the DRs have not been able to diagnose it. They just prescribe drugs for it.

Does this potentially qualify as 'undiagnosed illness'. What do you need to launch a claim on this with a reasonable chance of prevailing? Do I have to get my dr to say something to the effect of it being more likely than not....? or is PGW sufficient?

ps. None of these conditions are documented in my SMR, but the VA does have me as being in the theater of conflict jan 1990- aug 1991.

I appreciate your time and advice.

Thanks!

Ep

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

If you were in direct combat and/or with provable stressors that might be easier for you to get SC due to PTSD as the GWV regs are just miserable in my opinion and difficult for a vet to succeed on.

The regs are in 38 USC 1117-I believe I recently posted some GW vet claims here from the BVA that show how these presumptions work.

available under the search feature.

While I was not in combat (was in the navy), I did experience some trauma (which I won't bore you all with) during my stint. It very much negatively impacts my life today, hence the involvement with the Vet center.

Hell, I'm not even sure I wan't to go through the hassles of fighting for what could be years all for a measly 20% rating or whatever, especially after reading the horror stories.

My main concern is protecting my treatment options for the conditions I described, which I consider to be GW related. I worry that that without a rating, I may lose out getting treatment in the future, which I have be receiving due to being PGW, thus far.

EP

ps. thanks for the info.