Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Recent Voc Rehab Experience

Rate this question

P31415926

Question

Looking back on my experience raises questions.

50% SC, 47 y/o Serious Employment Handicap, offered by ch 31 to attend a school 30 mi away for a professional cert. I moved to the county where school is located, rent + ut increases to $950 from $600. I slowly bleed my savings to pay for this while living in poverty. I also take out $1800 in student loans. Oh btw, no laptop, printer, etc like some think is guaranteed. My laptop request including email from teacher regarding computer classwork was refused.

Finished cert in one year, no jobs in this field. School books are 3 years old which made it impossible to even practice the work, so the gov't didn't even get what they paid for, let alone the student. The material was outdated bigtime.

Summary: I still have the employment handicap, I'm out over $4k, student loans have come due, not qualified in this field, now taking a job as entry level ____ to survive. I'm worse off than before I started the program. They switched my case manager in the middle of the school year to one 200 miles away and out of state - who has a less than stellar record of answering phone calls or emails.

I don't think this was the rehabilitation that was intended- what happened here? They are itching to close out my file as soon as I take any low end job - is that it? Am I done?

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude while the ch 31 people are playing some kind of poker game, not showing their hand or the opportunities available. Thanks

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Rick, now we're getting somewhere. In addition to complaining, I was also asking about what my options were, i.e a do-over, or getting in a program that will train for a skill that has openings.

How did you go through three times? I think you would understand this program fairly well.

Just looking for some answers from folks who know about these things as I am clueless. Oh, also, my case manager didn't tel me squat. Kept me ignorant and dependant on him. The next near3st counselor is 200 miles away, there's no swapping them.

Peace

I'm going to have to agree with Rickb054 on this one. While the program is not perfect, it is a HUGE benefit for our newly discharged veterans as well as our older ones seeking to get back into the workforce. Nothing is EVER perfect, and a veterans Voc Rehab experience often depends upon their case manager - BUT isn't that the same no matter VA or not? Isn't that the same no matter WHAT program, or who is administering it?

Voc Rehab is NOT meant to pay for all the costs of living. Most scholarships do not either... as well as the Dept. of Labor's program, or the Social Security "ticket to work" program. Voc Rehab SHOULD pay for all the normal costs associated with attending a college or training program approved by them... with a stipend to cover fuel, and transportation expenses...

Complaining about some $90 charge when the program probably shuffled out thousands and thousands of dollars seems somewhat petty. No the program isn't perfect, but it is an enourmous benefit to veterans of all catagories. It has helped a great many veterans re-enter the workforce. If the training a person receives does not qualify them for a job in their local area, whos fault is that? The Voc Rehab process is two-ways. So every veteran has SOME say in their vocational path. If for some reason, after training their isnt a way to get a job in your vocational area, whos fault is that? It is certainly NOT the Voc Rehab councilors, since the veteran helps CHOOSE the career path.

I'm sorry P31415926, but your complaints seem rather inconsequential. As Rick said. Every veteran knows what they are getting into when they enter the program... they give out phamplets as well as conducting face-to-face interviews that tell all about the program and what it will, and will not pay for. I have looked at all the "other" voc rehab programs offered by other agencies like the Dept. of Labor, and Social Security, and the VA's is by far the best. Again, in ANY of these programs, SOME of the positive or negative impact will be because of the councilor, but by and large I think that the VAST majority of people who have been involved in VA's Voc Rehab would say it was great.

I went to college and worked a full-time job. I had a scholarship, and my GI-Bill, but it only covered the cost of school, not living. I can remember selling my books early, so we'd have enough money to pay the rent. I just cant comprehend complaining about something like this... At any time you could have requested anothe councilor, or argued for another degree path... Nope. Honestly your entire argument makes you sound like you expected them to do everything, pay for everything, and then find you a job afterward.....

(sigh).... most student HAVE to work when they go to school or take out loans. Thats just they way things are. The average college student leaves owing student loans... I did, even with all the work and help. The last of them were finally discharged because of my disability but I paid them back for YEARS prior. Nope, I'm sorry guy, but it seems to me like you are complaining instead of commenting.

Yawn.

Glad to see you know so much about me and my experiences. Why, we just met....

"People who think they know it all really irritate those of us who do."