Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Illinois New Property Tax Exemption For Disabled

Rate this question

putintime

Question

First, I want to thank grunt1949 for introducing me to this site.

Second, The information below is in paragraphs, because I cut

and paste from a different veteran site, to give you all the updated

information that I have.

Effective 17 October 2007 Illinois General Assembly & Governor signed Public Act 95-0644.

This is good news for almost all returning soldiers for armed conflict areas, disabled veterans,

and a step in the right direction for future Illinois veterans. Mostly deals homestead exemptions

and property tax. Hope this info helps those uninformedohwell.gif.

The form is PTAX-342, An application for Disabled Veterans' Standard Homestead

Exemption (DVSHE) form has been generated from the Illinois Department of Revenue

(IDOR). It is correct on the proper property tax exemption, although all over the form mentions

Estimated Assessed Value (EAV) reduction. It is funny that no where in Public Act

95-0644, 35 ILCS 200/15-169 (new) does it mention EAV until they write about limit value

of exemption (which is $250,000 EAV) on total resident property worth. All other sections

in this Illinois Public Act 95-0644 that was passed 17 October 2007, write about EAV and are

very specific on the intent in the 8 different sections concerning "Homestead Exemptions".

35 ILCS 200/15-165

35 ILCS 200/15-167

35 ILCS 200/15-168

35 ILCS 200/15-170

35 ILCS 200/15-172

35 ILCS 200/15-175

35 ILCS 200/15-177

35 ILCS 200/15-176

To be told this is just an "oversight" sounds goofy to me. How many lawyers picked through

this before it became a law? I have personally faxed and mailed letters to all the co-sponsors

of HR0664 that generated this Public Act 95-0644, and have only recieved 1 call saying that it

was being looked into. Also letters & faxes have been sent to the Illinois Governor, Asst Gov,

Illinois Director of Veteran Affairs (IDVA), Mayor of Chicago, and the IDOR for clarity on this

law for disabled veterans. Please help us out, Call your Chief County Assessor Officer (CCAO) and ask them to quote the law of Public Act 95-0644, Section 35 ILCS 200/ 15-169 (new) as it reads, and not what they "assume". Remember power is in numbers!!! Here is some quick numbers for you: This will make a difference of $2500 / $5000 yearly off your property tax, compared to

$200 to $500 a year, which is what our property taxes in Illinois have annually gone up historically for the last 10 years. Illinois has always been way behind to other states when properly

compensating the severally disabled veterans that are on limited income because of their disabilities. There is a time limitation for each county in Illinois when using the form PTAX-342 and it must be submitted in order to get this benefit for this year 2008 (2007 assessed year). Read the fine print on the back of the form concerning documentation that is needed, it can be misleading.

Just call the Chief County Assessor Officer (CCAO) and ask them what the Public Act 95-0644

Section 35 ILCS 200/ 15-169 (new) reads. As stated earlier many letters and faxes have been

sent to many people, and I called the LaSalle County Assessors office today to find out the deadline to sent the form PTAX-342 to get credit for this year (last year property taxes 2007) Ours is 28 February 2008. Call Ms. Taylor at (708) 202-2715 to get an updated disability certification letter for this tax year. Your DD214 needs to be certified by the recorders office. Get your PTAX-342 form in ASAP they (County assessors office) mentioned that there is a "loophole" that they are trying to rectify. Personally, I know the "loophole" they are talking about is the wording in section 35 ILCS 200/15-169 (new) of Public Act 95-0644. Let them know that you are aware of it, and contact all Illinois veterans to contact their state representatives & senators to keep the pressure on keeping this bill as is.

Sorry to ramble, just want to help fellow Illinois veterans.

Take Care,

usa.gif putintime usa.gif

• Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet