Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Accrued Benefits After My Time Is Up

Rate this question

donews

Question

I have to consider these things in my condition so I want to ask about this Accrued Benefits I keep hearing people discuss.

If I have active claims when I leave this world, who is eligible to apply for those funds?

Unfortunately my wife passed from cancer in 99, she was 48.

All I have left is my two sons, one is 39 the other is 34, and there kids.

Is it possible for them to collect any Accrued Benefits that are determined to be payable to me?

I assume if I pass from a Service Connected condition, that since my wife has passed, no one can receive any kind of death type benefits besides any life insurance I might have.

Edited by donews

Donewsome

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks Ron AND Don for discussing this important information. We added this to my "Survivorship File' for the family. CG

Note: Regards getting copies of the death certificate, recent family experience has taught us to have several sets of eyes look at the orginal before ordering the extra copies (they $ cost so!!). Between my husbands family and mine, we have seen incorrect death certificates more than half the time.

Having to correct a death certificate just adds to the paperwork frustration and needlessly extends the immediate greiving process.

Corrections to look out for include EVERYTHING every line that could be filled in by a hospital, official, funeral home, etc..., Middle Initials, Jr. Sr. addresses, birthdate, death date, spouse, cause of death, place, service history, county, social security #, etc. YOU may ask what service history? Example, my dads service information lists his birthdate as same day entering WWII. Again, review again and again before accepting the form. JMHO.

Good post, thanks. I will inform my son of the need to review the certificate closely.

Thanks Cowgirl,

Ron

Here is another thing to check out

http://www.cem.va.gov/cem/hm_hm.asp

They have all kind of grave markers - and you can decide what to have put on them. You can have markers leave room for your spouse's name - or not. You can pick your religious belief emblem if you want one. And most often they have room for your nickname or something.

It would have helped me if I had known for sure what my husband wanted on his marker. I ended up putting his name, rank, service - Vietnam Era / Desert Storm - and then I had them put SHIRT9 at the bottom.

Free

Think Outside the Box!

Thank you for the additional information.

I found out about SDVI also.

It is available to certain vets with service connection that are otherwise insurable except for their service connected conditions. All my life threatning conditions are service connected.

I recently filed for and am waiting on a response about Service Disabled Veterans Life Insurance.

If I get approved, it is a little something to leave them.

From what I understand, once approved and if I can get to 100% rating, they will pay for the SDVI for me for the first $10000.00 in coverage, and then I am able to purchase upto an additional $20,000.00 from them, but I must pa the premium on the additional amount (for me about $120.00 a month).

Donewsome