Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fyi, Ptsd Reevaluation

Rate this question

TinCanMan

Question

VA is apparently initiating a new review of PTSD diagnosis, treatment and compensation. The VA’s plans came to light on 16 NOV, six days after they had canceled a review of 72,000 PTSD claims awarded at 100% disability. Information about the new PTSD review was made public in a press release by Senator Larry Craig (R-ID), Chairman of the Senate Committee on Veterans’ Affairs. The release, in part, said, “The Department of Veterans Affairs announced today that it has contracted with the Institute of Medicine (IOM) on a two-pronged approach to the examination of PTSD.” The VA’s announcement was in the form of two documents they sent to Sen. Craig's office. One, a Fact Sheet prepared by the VA's Office of the Under Secretary for Health detailing the contract between the VA and the IOM. The other was a Question and Answer sheet prepared for members of Congress and the press. At www.vawatchdog.org/newsflash/newsflash11-23-2005-3.htm.both documents a!

re available for review.

The Fact sheet notes that The Secretary of the Department of Veterans Affairs has requested that the Institute of Medicine (IOM) conduct a review of PTSD. The IOM will provide the VA with current information that might reform VA policy as it relates to PTSD diagnosis, treatment and compensation. To accomplish this task, IOM will convene two separate committees. Specifically, the committees are to:

- Review the utility and objectiveness of the criteria in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM- IV).

- Redefine PTSD by altering diagnostic and treatment techniques.

- Review and comment on the objective measures used in the diagnosis of PTSD and known risk factors for the development of PTSD.

- Comment on the validity of current screening instruments and their predictive capacity for accurate diagnoses.

- Review literature on compensation practices for PTSD and how changes in the frequency and intensity of symptoms affect compensation under these practices.

- Assess how compensation practices and reevaluation requirements for PTSD compare with other chronic conditions which have periods of remission and return of symptoms.

- Review strategies used to support recovery and return to function in patients with PTSD.

The IOM reviews are to be completed in a year. They could become the basis for the VA to write an alternate definition of PTSD exclusive of the DSM-IV and institute new methods of treatment outside of normally accepted guidelines. They could also be the means to lower PTSD compensation based on “frequency and intensity of symptoms” & “remission and return of symptoms.”

The O&A sheet revealed that the VA is examining compensation for ALL health conditions and that they are coordinating their efforts with the Veterans’ Disability Benefits Commission (VDBC). The VDBC, by law, is independent of the Department of Veterans’ Affairs. The VDBC is made up of 13 members who are currently studying all areas of VA compensation. Nine members were appointed by Republicans. The VA Secretary Nicholson was appointed by President Bush. For additional information refer to previous Bulletin articles titled “VDBC”. [source: http://vawatchdog.blogspot.com Nov 05]

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Guest fla_viking

Dear Fellow Veterans & friends.

IF they dont take years and years to determine if someone is faking PTSD or other paper work problems. Then we know there is something fake going on. Either the RO's are faking the time it takes to decide a claim or. The new reviews are not being through enough and are doing it just to cut vets money and give them a hard time.

Terry Higgins

I don't think anyone, including the VA, thinks fraud is involved. Well, at least not on the part of the veteran. If you read the OIG report you'll see the OIG believed the problem was with the VARO's in that most didn't properly verify the stressors thereby awarding compensation in error. Now that everyone knows there is a problem and the politicians are all lined up to pound the drum, I suspect changes are going to be made.

I think 38 CFR is ripe for change and it wouldn't surprise me if the commission recommends a complete rewrite. That's one of the reasons it takes so long. The legalities, including case law simply demand all the i's get dotted and the t's get crossed. That and the fact that compensation isn't at all like social security. In SS the administration only need verify the claimant is unable to work and that he is a citizen. If he has qualifying earnings he gets SS, if not he gets SSDI. No search for 40 year old records, verification of stressor, verification if it was service connected, just pay the man.

I just hope and pray, that Dem's take over one of the Houses. I don't care Congress or the Senate. Divieded goverment works,best. Not that any goverment can work.

The closer the next nov elections, more and more of this stuff, will go away. Just like all the SS revamp did.

The last thing, they want (both parties) is for us vets, to get organized. The last time that happened, alot of WWI vets and they're families, Died.

I've been put on a ton of new meds. so if this just does'nt make any sense. You'll know why. Seems, like everytime I go to the mail box. more meds. Plus lot's of Lab work appt. I know damn well, those, damn PHD"S are behind this. Have a appt with on of them, next Tue. Wish me kuck.

Oh yeah, that lab work is one vile of blood. Know damn well they're checking to make sure I'm taking those damn drugs.

Larry Jones 100% SC PTSD

Damn were is that spell check.

Larry,

Some PTSD drugs require routine blood tests to monitor effective levels (like depakote), while others need constant testing for the effects they have on your liver. This isn't to say that the VA isn't needlessly testing you, but I'm sure some of them are valid:-)