• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

[veteranissues] Suicides And Causes, Veterans & Military

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

fwd from: Colonel Dan

Be careful taking Prozac, Paxil, etc.. talk to your Dr. seriously... and be careful stopping cold turkey How many of the veterans and service members who have committed suicide were taking Prozac or a similar drugs.. worth a close look... How many were seeing a Psychiatrist .. or a Psychologist.... was the Psychiatrist Dr treating/counseling or just prescribing drugs, as most of them just do. Is Prozac the trigger for suicide? Dr David Healy, a psychiatrist at the University of Wales College of Medicine, believes hundreds in Britain have committed suicide while on Prozac. ...

www.antidepressantsfacts.com/1999-09-29-Lilly-block-research.htm CNN.com - Papers indicate firm knew possible Prozac suicide risk ... An internal document purportedly from Eli Lilly and Co. made public Monday appears to show that the drug maker had data more than 15 years ago showing that ...

www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/01/03/prozac.documents/index.html Prescription for Suicide? TIME MAGAZINE According to Dr. Martin Teicher, a senior Harvard researcher at McLean Hospital who was first to publish case reports linking suicide and Prozac, ...

www.ahrp.org/infomail/04/02/06.php -In the early 1990s, Dr. Breggin suggested there were problems with research methodology in the research of SSRI antidepressants. As early as 1991 in Talking Back to Prozac he warned that Prozac was causing violence, suicide and mania, and he elaborated on this theme in many subsequent books and articles in regard to all of the newer antidepressants. In 2005, the FDA began requiring black box warnings on SSRIs, warning of an association between SSRI use and suicidal behavior in children.[11], and later extended it to young adults. New general warnngs were added along with the aforementioned black box warnings. These confirmed many of the other adverse effects first emphasized by Dr. Breggin in Toxic Psychiatry with specific mentions by the FDA of drug-induced "hostility," "irritability," and "mania"[citation needed]. In 2006, the FDA expanded the warnings to include adults taking Paxil (which is associated with a higher risk of suicidal behavior as compared to placebo[12]). These policy actions were taken approximately 15 years after Dr. Breggin first wrote about the subject.

"Keep on, Keepin' on"

Dan Cedusky, Champaign IL "Colonel Dan"

See my web site at:

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/VeteranIssues/

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Hi,

Although I've read similar reports previously, I've continued to use antidepressants for more than 10 years. The warnings are valid, but IMHO the benefits outweigh the possible risks, at least in my case.

Ron

Ron,

The VA tried all of the SSRIs on me and none of them worked at all. Just side effects. From this post, it is a good thing I quit trying them. Still have severe, clinical depression, but at least I don't have the side effects too. Voodoo medicine, in my opinion.

jaz

I had similar experience on those drugs. Depression is better!

Hostile, yes. Angry all the time, yes. I was almost violent...actually, I have to admit I did get voilent. I kicked my child when I was wearing a pair of boots.

Stopped the drugs immediately and did some soul searching to get my prioritys in line. 10 years have passed and she still remembers that.

Hate the VA when it comes to meds.