Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

In A Quandry...

Rate this question

notime362

Question

How about some advice for a Brother? I filed a claim for PTSD during March, as I previously posted. I stopped by my VO for a gab session, and asked if she could check how my claim is progressing. She said it's happening at a very rapid pace, as it's one step from being turned over for review. My problem is I have settlement on 5/30, and will be moving to Alabama. Suppose a C & P date shows up during my transition, and I miss my appointment. I don't have a new mailing address as of this time. We are going house-hunting later this coming week. Also my moving in Birmingham's jurisdiction, will I have to be at their mercy? I'm nuts now, but this making me nuttier....

Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out....Jack Buck

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

First I would have to ask - Does your SO know about your situation?

If not and she is a SO that you trust I would recommend that you discuss this issue with her and I am sure you will guide you through the transition for she should know how your current RO works.

After you discuss it with her my recommendation would be: First I would leave things as they are. For once you throw a wrench into the process you will cloudy things for the imbesels at the VA. Then as you begin the transition and move to Alabama make sure you do a change of address with the post office and continue to contact the 1-800 number or your SO every couple of days to see if you have been scheduled for any exams (you will have to travel back you your current area for the exam). Also if you have a trusted neighbor or relative in your current area I would ask them to check your current mail box daily and notify you of ANY letters/paperwork from the VA. This should cover most if not all avenues of approach until you get completely settled in here in Alabama without throw in that wrench mentioned above.

Yes at some point and time you will have to have your file moved here to Alabama and deal with the Montgomery RO. If your current RO is half way decent and can read at the 4th grade level you are in for a rude awakening my friend. If you take the 50 RO's in the U.S. and rank them 1 through 50 with 50th being the worst my personal rating of the Montgomery is a 60 (if you can assign a 60 in a 1 to 50 ranking scale hahahahahaha). Good luck with your relocation and welcome to Alabama.

• In Memoriam

I moved from California to Arkansas and kept my VSO for one year after the move. I used my sisters address for all VA mail in California.

When I got to the point of being sent to the BVA, I changed my address to Arkansas. From this point it only took 2 more years for my claim to catch up.

Sometimes things take a while for the VA.

Stretch

Just readin the mail

Excerpt from the 'Declaration of Independence'

We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred to disavow these usurpations, which, would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity