Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sample Stress Letters?

Rate this question

Guest Maddie

Question

Hi

I am helping a Vietnam Vet with his PTSD claim (new). Can anyone give me some samples of some stressor letters so I give him some pointers on how to write an appropriate letter?

Any other pointers for him would be appreciated too.

Does the VA have some new very long form they make vets fill out? 21-256? Is this new requirement? I don't remember filling it out myself when I had my SC claim.

Thanks.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Yes -he will need to fill out the 21-526 form which I will attach here-I think it is about 14 pages long.

He mght well have medals or decorations on his DD 214 that support his claim- does he have a current medical diagnosis of PTSD and has he gotten his military records and any private and copies of his VA medical records yet?

21_526.pdf

• HadIt.com Elder

Maddie

This is not a new form, it has been around for some time. It is the correct form to file for the first claim made against the VA. It is possible to file without using this form for almost everything other than PTSD, but it is best that it is filed at sometime, as it is more comprehensive, and gives the VA no chance to deny on the basis of NOT filing the correct initial claim.

Fight the VA as if they are the enemy; for they are!

Erin go Bragh

Guest menoften

:rolleyes:

Need information on filing a stressor letter. Been going to VA for PTSD.

Have a GAF 40 not getting any one on one thearapy only Citapram and sleep pills.

They have me in a mood disorder class. That is all the help

I am getting. Should'nt I be getting one on one counseling.

They said I was too bad for group therapy, because I get

re-Traumatizrf taling about Vietll-Nam. Went through traumma

for 2 years. Hope to hear from some one;.

Thanks.

Menoften

• HadIt.com Elder

Hello Vietnam Veteran! You will need to write a stressor letter only if you have filed a Claim for PTSD - and only if your service records do not support a bonafide combat support position. Sounds like you are getting treatment for a mood disorder. Have you already filed a claim for PTSD??? ~Wings

Edited by Wings

USAF 1980-1986, 70% SC PTSD, 100% TDIU (P&T)

As I tell everyone, get a private doctor (or 2) and get some IMOs. If you let the VA handle your claim from VA doctor to RO you will be starting off on the defensive. Be offensive and have your ammunition ready when you file your claim. Also, a private doctor will be more willing to diagnos you with PTSD related to combat then a VA doc will.