VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Beneficiary Travel Benefits

Rate this question

allan

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

VISN 17 - VA North Texas Health Care System

http://www.northtexas.va.gov/travel.asp

Beneficiary Travel Benefits

Q. Can I get travel pay?

A. You may be eligible for VA beneficiary travel benefits for VA health care services if

• you have a service-connected (SC) rating of 30 percent or more, or
  • you are traveling for treatment of a SC condition, or
  • you receive a VA pension, or
  • your income does not exceed the maximum annual VA pension rate, or
  • you are traveling for a scheduled compensation or pension examination,

Q. Is there a deductible?

A. In most cases, travel benefits are subject to a deductible. Deductibles do not apply for compensation and pension examinations, travel by an ambulance or a specially equipped van. ** Be sure you complete your means test annually as it may change your deductible requirement.**

Q. How much would I get?

A. Mileage Rates:

General Travel ……………………28.5 cents/per mile

Scheduled appointments qualify for round-trip mileage. Unscheduled visits may be limited to return mileage only.

Deductible: ………………….…………$7.77 one-way

($15.54 round trip)

Deductibles do not apply for compensation and pension examinations, travel by an ambulance or a specially equipped van and/or those veterans in receipt of VA pension.

Q. How do I get paid?

Travel pay is given AFTER your appointment. Veterans must be checked in and out at their clinic before they can receive reimbursement. Eligible veterans are encouraged to collect their travel pay the day of their appointment by going to the Beneficiary Travel window. ** Remember, it is important to update your address in the VA system to ensure you receive the correct travel reimbursement.**

Q. What if I have special needs?

You qualify for Special Mode Transportation (Ambulance, wheelchair van etc.) if you meet one of the eligibility criteria above, your medical condition requires an ambulance or a specially equipped van, and the travel is pre-authorized (authorization is not required for emergencies if a delay would be hazardous to life or health).

Q. Is the criteria different for OEF/OIF veterans?

A. OEF/OIF Combat Veterans must meet one of the qualifying eligibilities or conditions listed above.

Q. There’s a VA facility closer to my home, but I choose to get my care at a VA North Texas facility. Can I still qualify?

A. Yes – if you meet the criteria for travel pay and choose to receive care at a VA North Texas facility instead of the VA nearest your home, and it is not a referral from a VA physician, you can get travel pay. However, the amount is based on the distance from your residence to the nearest VA facility (including Community Based Outpatient Clinics) providing the same level of care.

Q. I meet the criteria; what do I do now?

A. After completion of your appointment, go to the Beneficiary Travel window to apply. If you wish more information about travel pay you may call the Dallas Travel office at (214) 857-1350, Fort Worth Travel office at (817) 882-6161 or Bonham Travel office at (903) 583-6317.

VA Fact Sheet 16-2, Beneficiary Travel Benefits

function checkInSiteSearch() { if (document.searchForm.SQ.value != "") { document.searchForm.action = "/NORTHTEXAS/site_search.asp"; } return true; } Contact VA North Texas | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) | VA North Texas Site Map

VISN 17 | Central Texas Veterans HCS | South Texas Veterans HCS | VA North Texas HCS

• Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet