Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Visit To Pvt Dr For Imo

Rate this question

Toposurveyor

Question

To all,

I generally have an annual appointment with my private Dr to discuss my health and to maintain a local contact for medical care dealing with emergencies.

My meeting with my Dr in 2007 was less than cordial for some reason. He was short with me, seemed iritated and not in the best of moods. I was not too pleased.

My pcp at the VA asked if I had seen my local Dr and I related what happened. She thought that maybe he just had a bad day.

I had an appointment today with the same Dr and what a difference. He was very interested in me and concerned about my health, specifically my DM2. We talked about some concerns of evidence of conditions that could be secondary to DM. He seemed to agree that there were definite connections and would so note in his report, all to my advantage. What a change in attitude. I now feel that last year he must have had a "bad hair day"!!! (And as usual for me, I had jumped to too quick a conclusion!)

I await a copy of his report as I am filing for these conditions with the VA through my County VSO.

Ed

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

To all,

I generally have an annual appointment with my private Dr to discuss my health and to maintain a local contact for medical care dealing with emergencies.

My meeting with my Dr in 2007 was less than cordial for some reason. He was short with me, seemed iritated and not in the best of moods. I was not too pleased.

My pcp at the VA asked if I had seen my local Dr and I related what happened. She thought that maybe he just had a bad day.

I had an appointment today with the same Dr and what a difference. He was very interested in me and concerned about my health, specifically my DM2. We talked about some concerns of evidence of conditions that could be secondary to DM. He seemed to agree that there were definite connections and would so note in his report, all to my advantage. What a change in attitude. I now feel that last year he must have had a "bad hair day"!!! (And as usual for me, I had jumped to too quick a conclusion!)

I await a copy of his report as I am filing for these conditions with the VA through my County VSO.

Ed

Ed, glad to hear that the situation turned around for you. One must remember that Docs are normal people too. It may have just been a bad day or like many who work he may be so dedicated he feels the need to tend to his patients no matter what is going on - death in family, He was sick and hurting etc..... Most of us do not even realize that we come off that way untile the situation resolves and we have time to reflect on the days before. I think what I am trying to say is, uh..... he/she is human too!

To all,

I picked up the Dr.'s notes from my recent exam. He reports that the Dupuytrens contractures are bilateral and are "associated with his diabetes". Also, regarding the diminished ankle brachial index, "I suspect the lower value could be contributed to by his underlying diabetes as well as his hyperlipidemia".

After talking about these problems, I thought that I might get the "at least as likely" words, but that did not happen.

So, I will include this report with my new claim for secondary conditions and see how the chips fall. I have a good VSO in the adjoining county and will see her tommorrow. She has started with the paperwork to file for these as secondary conditions to my diabetes and is waiting for this report to file them.

Ed

• HadIt.com Elder

Ed, good for you and and I wish you the best.

I saw what you shared here and was wondering if you have your medical records from that doctor. Many of us here have learned to get a copy of our private and VA medical records. My doctors maintain medical records for only 7 years. When I returned to the neurologist after 10 years, they said my file was destroyed. The VA seems to maintain medical records for the duration.

My thoughts, extensive care also adds support to your claim as well as a recent diagnosis and current care. Also, the doctor may be able to expand upon his remarks if you ask.

Good to ya,

CG

To all,

I picked up the Dr.'s notes from my recent exam. He reports that the Dupuytrens contractures are bilateral and are "associated with his diabetes". Also, regarding the diminished ankle brachial index, "I suspect the lower value could be contributed to by his underlying diabetes as well as his hyperlipidemia".

After talking about these problems, I thought that I might get the "at least as likely" words, but that did not happen.

So, I will include this report with my new claim for secondary conditions and see how the chips fall. I have a good VSO in the adjoining county and will see her tommorrow. She has started with the paperwork to file for these as secondary conditions to my diabetes and is waiting for this report to file them.

Ed

To cowgirl and all,

Yes, I have always asked for a copy of my records from my Dr. In fact, the local Internist I now work with seems to always ask me first if I need a copy of his notes. I also make it a point to visit the Release of Information office at the VAMC after my appointments to be sure that they provide me with progress notes and lab notes. There have been a few occasions where my VA PCP has finished her notes prior to my leaving and had all ready made a copy for me.

Since I seem to be a keeper of information, my home files are bursting with misc. paperwork concerning my health and medical care. It makes a real mess on the desk when I pull it all out to look over, much to the consternation of my wife!!!

Ed