Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tinnitis

Rate this question

Guest Dean2

Question

Is Tinnitis and/or hearing loss service-connection presumed for combat vets (11B, CIB, etc.)? If not, how much evidence of noise exposure is necessary?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Is Tinnitis and/or hearing loss service-connection presumed for combat vets (11B, CIB, etc.)? If not, how much evidence of noise exposure is necessary?

If you were in the Infantry would help or if you were exposed to loud noises in your work or if you had a problem with your hearing while in service.

Do you have your military medical files that include your hearing tests? If not, get them. Those tests scores should indicate any hearing problems you may have. Search this Board for discussions on what scores indicate hearing problems, there have been several websites noted. Tinnitus can be caused by one severe incident, or by a series of incidents that damaged hearing. You may want to keep an eye out for what happens on Smith vs. Nicholson regarding the bilateral factor being applied to tinnitus cases.

Guest terrysturgis

I have taken three Veterans to my SO and all three were denied Tinnitus. NOD's pending. The mistake I believe is they did not have an Independent Medical Opinion to support the "as likely as not" Service Connection theory. I had an IMO and I am 10% SC for Tinnitus. My first SO was from the VFW and he recommended that I get the IMO. I also enclosed a tape I recorded in March 1970 as evidence. Full of Arty explosions. If anyone was stationed in Dong Ha I would be glad to share the tape. As with any claim throw all the evidence to support a claim as you can get.

Vicki is right about your SMR's. Mine showed loss of hearing on them.

Good Luck, God Bless. Terry Sturgis