VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Adaptive Grants - Various

Rate this question

sixthscents

Question

OK, I want to share a success story I suppose and also remind others about these programs. Starting with the adaptive vehicle grant.

This is a grant for persons suffering from the loss of use of one foot or leg, and other stipulations. The most up-to-date info page I could find was here: http://www.vba.va.gov/ro/hartford/CandP/Autogrants

/AutomotiveGrants.htm

The basic entitlement amount has been increased to $11,000, and can be used to purchase any type of vehicle. Basically you file the form requesting the entitlement, and then the VA loses it for 2 months then you resubmit it and they take 90 days to process it, so its about a six month ordeal. However, they cut a $11K check toward my new Lincoln, so it was definatly worth the paperwork. This DOES NOT include the money required to adapt the vehicle for driving, just the purchase. The adaptation equipment is fully paid for by the VA, after you are evaluated to determine what equipment you need. Things like lifts, hand controls, etc. You can have 2 vehicles adapted, and there are further stipulations but its obviously worthwhile to a vet who has a disability including the foot or leg or legs.

Also, the INDEPENDENT LIVING SERVICES people can help with more funds if necessary to purchase the proper vehicle. They are under Vocational Rehabilitation.

Ok, so now we go to the Adaptive Housing Grants. The are several different types here, but I will only mention the three most common.

First, again the Independent Living Services people can and do perform renovations to your home. I am unaware of any limit of expenses, however they come out and evaluate your home and decide what you need. This can be anything from side to side door refigerators (far easier for someone in a wheel chair to use) to front loading washers and driers as well as adaptations to bathrooms etc. Whatever they determine you need to live independent of any help. This in not all this program offers, but thats the housing stuff.

Second there is the $50,000 adaptive housing grant. To qualify you must meet certain citeria which is detailed here: http://www.vba.va.gov/ro/manchester/lgymai...ptedhousing.htm

This site also details the third adaptive housing program of $10,000 for blind veterans.

Also, the physical therapy/amputee-orto people have some funds for small adaptations like ramps and such. I believe the limit is $2,400 for vets with a rating over %50, and $1,200 for pensioners. These numbers may be incorrect as I havent looked at the program in a long time.

The significant thing here is that the 50K can go toward the PURCHASE of a new home as well as renovation of an exsisting one. Now thats a NICE down payment huh? I am unaware of any restrictions placed upon the adaptive grants i.e. what can be done, except that the renovations must be done by a licensed contractor and not your brother (unless hes a licensed contractor). For more information call: 1-888-768-2132 and aske to be transferred to Phil White.

Again as an aside....I just received entitlement to the grant, and we are going to use it on a house we are closing on this week. I could have put it to purchase price, but then I would have had to finance the renovations so, it just made sense to do it this way.

Anyway...these programs are out there, and the VA seems to never mention them, so YOU have to see if you fit the qualifying criteria and then file the appropriate forms. Expect the VA to lose them, deny you sent them, etc. but stick to it and in 4-6 months you WILL get approved if you qualify.

Theres is a great deal of info on the VA's website about these grants but you have to search for it. Again, its almost like they dont want anyone to be aware they exist. Anyway, if you have any questions get back with me.

Bob Smith

• Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet