Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd And Peb Then Va...

Rate this question

KenK

Question

Not sure where to begin...I've just completed my second deployment to Iraq and during the process of Reverse SRP at Ft. Bragg was pulled for WTU (I never was medavac), and then later transferred to CBHCO-AL. I have had three operations - Bilateral Carpel Tunnel Release's, Right Ulnar Nerve Transposition. Also, I have chronic lower/mid back & neck pain (no operations performed at this time for these later injuries) and numbness & tingling to my lower extremities.

After a month or so at home, my wife was afraid of the change in my behavior and forced me to contact my PCM. Thereafter, my PCM set in motion for me to see a Counselor (a civilian) then later a Psychiatrist (another civilian) for medication. I was subsequently diagnosed with PTSD by this Psychiatrist. Due to this diagnosis, I was later sent to NAS Pensacola for a Military Psychiatry Evaluation. The Doctor concurred with the initial findings of PTSD and found me Medically Unacceptable for duty with a S-3 and recommended for separation. I've just completed the MEB portion (being found Medically Unacceptable for duty by the board for PTSD) with a recommendation to be referred to a PEB.

I have over 22 years of Federal Active Duty (Marines & Army combined) and was awarded 30% compensation (L/Knee, Back and Tinnitus) from the VA after my first deployment to Iraq. Now, I have to face the PEB and fight from being sc***ed too badly then fight the VA for compensation all so I may provide for my family. I know there's just no way I can work right now if ever again! So I guess I'm asking is what can I do and am I on the right track.

Also, not sure if it matters, but I was awarded a CAB during my first deployment and have not received any awards so far from my second one. After all, I was just an attached soldier to the unit from a different state. I was deployed with the 3/20th SFG.

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Berta, first off, I am so sorry for what your husband had to bear from our government! With that in mind, I am 46 (and yes that worries me too). And when I came back from my 1st deployment no one including me knew I had PTSD (though my wife knew something was up). The Army just traced my PTSD to that deployment (I guess b/c thats when I received my first CAB).

I just finished the TDIU form and not sure what to include (other than my Medical Records), I will go ahead tomorrow and turn it in? Called CBHCO-AL for updated copy's of my medical records (3) for VA, SSA, and myself. They receive new records from my civilian doc's every time I have appointment's. And like I said before I already applied for SSDI. But, how many years will all of this take? At most, I have 6 more months before the PEB process is complete.

Not sure if I can apply for CRSC yet? But, I have finished filling out the form. Does anyone know if you have to fill a different CRSC form for every VA award?

Thanks also for getting help from the National Veterans Legal Group. I'll be waiting...

Ken- I ended up writing a 3 page letter to NVLSP- mentioned the EED question you have here but I do think we did get that right-

the EED will be the date of the PTSD claim (which should be the day after your last discharge)and the EED for potential TDIU award will be the day they get the TDIU form-as long as you are completely unemployed-

that could possibly a more favorable date depending on what the SSA decision is-hard to say-I keep thinking that technically you are still in-----but in transition to muster out-

I had some suggestions and questions regarding the recent VBM as well as your question in my letter-and dont know how long it will take for NVLSP to respond-their lawyers usually always call me up to respond-

http://www.nvlsp.org/Information/LSW/index.htm

This is their new pro bono project -"Lawyers Serving Warriors"and you might well want to contact them on this-

I spoke to Amy about a month ago (she is the press info person) and she said they were still setting up but getting contacts already-best to use the email addy they give you-at the site-

I think the EED we determined here is correct but if I hear different from NVLSP I sure will let you know-

Last response I got from NVLSP regarding some AO and other vet issues took about 2 weeks - one of their lawyers called me at night-and of course we talked and talked about VA OLA for quite some time-

I wrote a lengthy letter to the Disability Commission when they were asking veterans and advocates to send them suggestions- some time ago-

many of the suggestions they got were incorporated into the transition of OIF OEF vets-

but many werent-

I was supposed to speak to COngressman Filner (H VAC chair)via SVR RAdio 2 months ago as to some transition problems I saw lacking- and you are a good example of this- you arent getting the info you really need from the mil at this point-or from the VA-and I am assuming you have no formal representation yet for your claim.

I LOST my net connection -in a low cloud cover and could not get through to Filner-or the station -but as soon as he returns to our weekly SVR radio show-I will definitely raise some of these issues with him-he has letters from me on another very important

issue too-I want to discuss with him----

then again -you might be set for some transitions briefings that will give you more info-my daughter went to them all-

and she said their were lifers and officers in the briefings too and the VA guy was good but of course he didnt tell these soon -to -be vets- how the VA really can be--

your claim should NOT take as long as the many claims here - because the VA is supposed to be giving OIF OEF faster service-

But it is difficult to even guess how long your claim will take.

The NVLSP link has more info too-

What you said made sense to me- as to the PTSD-

when I met my husband in a vet center he had just been awarded for PTSD EED 1983. It was 1984. He couldnt understand why he didnt get retro back to his year in Hell-1964-65-

In your case the Army attributed your problems directly to your first tour-but still I think they will give you the EED we discussed here-

My husband was a retread too- USMC and then he joined the Navy too.(1980 I think). But he got the PTSD when he was Marine Corp- Vietnam.So he had it in the Navy-

Your logic is sound on the EED but that would mean the VA owes PGW vets and Nam vets MILLIONS in comp for PTSD.

I will sure post anything I can find out from NVLSP and it might take some time for them to contact me.

Edited by Berta

:lol: Sorry its been awhile since I last posted...but I wanted to wait for any new changes in my situation. Well, I just got off the phone with my PEBLO...The PEB awarded me 50% PRDL for PTSD under Combat Conditions!

I am so high now! It took less than a week! I can't believe it. Now, I have 10 working day's to review it before I have to concur / non-concur. I know, take it and run...but in my situation I have over 22 active yrs already. So other than being combat related and non-tax on some (not sure what that means?) I would be getting my 50% plus 2.5% per extra yrs.

So I am wondering if I should go for the gold? Could they also reduce the rating? These things I have no ideal about.

Also, I am in the middle of my sleep apna test (they want me to come back for the CPAP portion.

Well, thats about it for now, I'll see you all later.

Ken

Ken- this is GREAT! I have no word on your question from NVLSP-as my other comments to them involved many other issues- I know they would agree with the answers you got here-on the EED-date of the claim or day after your discharge-

it might take quite some time for them to respond to me-

I believe you mean TDIU ? the Gold?

Yes file the TDIU form 21-8940- and by all means look into CRSC-COmbat Related Special COmpensation.

:lol: Sorry its been awhile since I last posted...but I wanted to wait for any new changes in my situation. Well, I just got off the phone with my PEBLO...The PEB awarded me 50% PRDL for PTSD under Combat Conditions!

I am so high now! It took less than a week! I can't believe it. Now, I have 10 working day's to review it before I have to concur / non-concur. I know, take it and run...but in my situation I have over 22 active yrs already. So other than being combat related and non-tax on some (not sure what that means?) I would be getting my 50% plus 2.5% per extra yrs.

So I am wondering if I should go for the gold? Could they also reduce the rating? These things I have no ideal about.

Also, I am in the middle of my sleep apna test (they want me to come back for the CPAP portion.

Well, thats about it for now, I'll see you all later.

Ken