VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Active Duty Help

Rate this question

Guest terrysturgis

Question

Guest terrysturgis

My daughter is active duty at Fort Knox. Last fall she had an ear infection and they put drain tubes in her ears. They waited so long that now she has to wear hearing aids. I told her that it is my thought that she has to wait till she gets out in March before she can file a claim for hearing loss. She has copies of all her SMR's. Brothers and Sisters, any information to help her would be appreciated. THANKS! Terry Sturgis

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

they have it set up now that they can file the claims within 60 days of ETS for known medical problems so they can get the mess solved faster now than they use to, it is my understandung that there are VA claims offices at active duty bases where people process out Terry she may want to check that out

Guest jstacy

Hi Terry. I have had similar issues your daughter has. I had ear infections and have had several tubes placed in the ears. Now I have over 60 percent hearing loss and I do wear a hearing aid.

I filed the claim for the following conditions. Chronic Otitis media. Tinnuitis, hearing loss. The only treatments for obstructive ear issues are antibiotics, Tubes, and as a last resort surgury to repair the hole left open from the ear tubes. ( This hole will usually heal in children but almost never in adults).

There is a doctor in Lexington about 70 miles from fort Knox who is one of the best ENT docs around. She may want to see him for a outside opinion. If you want I can give you his name and Phone Number. Just E-mail me.

She should file before she separates from the Army. ( I am amazed they dont medically discharge her)

Good Luck

Guest Jim S.

If she is soon to get out anyway, if I were her, I would report to sick call and request a medical board for her hearing loss. At the very least it will generate additional evidence of the problem and possible document further the extent of the hearing loss and need for hearing aids.

I would most certainly request an exit/discharge from the service physical and make sure that your hearing loss is well documented during the physical. I would also request to speek to a military attorney/lawyer to see what option are open to you. A dissability rating from the service, by the military will go further in suporting any subsequet claim with the VA.

I would not accept discharge and sign off on anything until you have at least received a medical board and are given a disability rating for your hearing loss. Appeal any medical board decision that doesn't with the help of the military lawyer.

Be nice in your requests and in a written request if that becomes necessary, but be firm in your resolve to make sure your rights are upheld.

good luck,

Jim S. B)

• HadIt.com Elder

You should also emphasize the correct way to take a hearing test.

Do NOT strain to hear any sound!

Do NOT press the button until you clearly hear the sound, while relaxing.

Do STAY ALERT while you hear the sound, and release the button as soon as the sound fades.

On a word discrimination test, do NOT guess at the word.

These sound like obvious things, but so many people treat the test as a competition to show how good their hearing is. There is no reason to fake it, but there is also no reason to make a concentrated effort to do something, that is almost an autonomic function.

Guest terrysturgis

My daughter logged on to HADIT as a visitor off base and she called to tell me you folks are COOL! And Thanks for the advice. I think you are cool also and THANKS! Terry Sturgis