Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Setting Up New Claim

Rate this question

Done wit this

Question

I am thinking I should file a new claim for Gulf War Syndrome. I plan to do this when the VARO decides My pending claims..I am figuring with the years of shoulder and Hip joint problems I have had.. and the studies on the pestisides and combo's of other things that us Desert Storm Vets were exposed to that I will have enough evidence to open a New claim on these facts... I, Was seen at Medics in Desert Storm for stomach problems ...Joint problems ...cold and flu like syptoms sent for exrays of nose and breathing areas to a Saudi hospital ....hearing loss..Lack of sleep ...of course shoulder joint problems many times.. and the last 10 years I have been seen for Hip problems also Joints" at the VAMC..also lack of being able to concentrate .... with all the Gulf War Syndrome studies and findings available now.. is there any Vets being awarded anything for this Gulf War Syndrome Claims? I do beleive that with My SMRs that I could be connected for this ..

I am looking for some Insight on this Idea ... from everyone..

I, HAVE RESEARCHED IT THERE'S ALLOT OUT THERE THAT SUPPORTS THIS.

WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS?

Macool

Edited by macool

"We should not have to fight the system, We fought to protect"

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

GW Vets are having a hell of a time Rick-

GWS is dependent on a strict criteria -actually the VA doesnt service connect Gulf War Syndrome- it SCes those conditions that it determines are what GWS is-

This recent BVA case shows what I mean:

http://www.va.gov/vetapp09/files1/0900844.txt

Denise Nichols has done and continues to do daily advocacy for vets in DC as to the toxins etc that you men and women were exposed to in PGW.

However it all takes a very strong nexus fom a real doctor with environmental expertise in chemical toxins to SC these types of claims.

I feel the PGW regs as to the socalled qualifying undiagnosed disability- are too limiting for most GW vets to even fit into-

the other GW conditions they will SC are within this case.

I call the PGW regs a bunch of mumbo jumbo-because in many cases the vet is sick and most likely due to PGW but cannot fit medically into their criteria unless they can prove direct nexus from their SMRs.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

I have run this through my mind for years now, and did not know if the GWS has been acknowledged enough yet to actully do anyone any good..I guess I should have known because not much on hadit yet to answer the Question...the Goverment is still covering it up..with as you said ,Mumbo jumbo... I guess some day the truth will surface... kind of like the agent orange vets ...its really wrong to treat service members past and present like this ...

Some day I will file for GWS ... With the visits I had for the things that I was at the Medics for and the Studies I have read ... the benifit of dought thing will come into play...When they stop hiding the truth...

Thanks berta ..really your reply is why I have not claimed it

I can't ....still

Macool

Ok here is my problem. Last year I had a PHA and they thought I had Parkinson’s. It was later discovered that was not the case however they still haven’t found a cause for the tremors that I have. They supposedly started an MEB based on that. Then found out it had never left the base local PEBLO. This was after I was told it had already left the base. Then I was told it was fixing to go up. Then about 3 weeks ago my Psychiatrist said that she had requested they hold on to it until after my sleep study.

Well anyways that is not the reason I am writing this. For about nine months I had a severe sleep disorder where I couldn’t get to sleep for 3 to 4 hours a night. I was sent up for a sleep study where they determined I had mild to moderate OSA. The last thing I was told by my PCM was that if it comes back that I require the CPAP that shell start an MEB based solely on that. When I took the second sleep study and the technician there said with mild to moderate it is not a matter of if you need a CPAP, you need that. I had told her what I was told on base and she said that the base should know that you are here to determine your number for the CPAP. She said you are not here to determine if you need it, you are here solely to get fitted and determine your number. It was started on number 7 and ended the night at 10 and had reached 11 at the end. She reiterated I was there only to find the number that I needed for the CPAP and said you have already been diagnosed with OSA. Ok, why did the PCM say if it is determined that I need the CPAP at the next sleep study then I will have a MEB if she shouldve known that i needed the CPAP and that was the reason i was there. Shouldn’t she have already known that? The fact that I have been prescribed antipsychotics (Seroquel to get to sleep) for over 5 months I should have had an MEB based solely on that. That is what the AFI states. Seems to me there is a lot of breaking rules and not following the AFI’s at all. I am to the point where I have 14 years is and personally would take my medical retirement happily. I have chronic lower back pain. They try to say its all in my head and that I am depressed and that’s why it hurts.

Ok based on the fact that I have OSA and I will have the CPAP.

Diagnosed depression

Chronic lower pain

Chronic sleep disorder

Antipsychotics to get to sleep

What percentage could I be looking at and if I would be medically retired or medically discharged. If discharged medically could I recover a percentage for the above with Veterans Affairs? I have 14 years in this July. Some people post that some get medical discharged and others retired. Then there are some that have been saying that they keep you in and deploy you anyways. I would like to know where I stand according to AFI’s or DOD regulations not hear say.

are you still Active .? And get copies of all your SMR,s.. ASAP if you can.. If you were seen on active duty for these things you have got something ...well allot.. from what I have read here..Maybe this post will get the ELDERS here and tell you the best way to handle this . these people here are all great..They will help

HANG IN THERE

Macool

Yeah-why arent you being MEBbed????

You can apply for VA comp during the transition briefings when you muster out- and this point you don't know what kind of discharge you will get----

Make sure you leave with everything documented in your SMRs as to any inservice disability and make sure you leave with copies of complete and accurate SMRS too-

keep us up to date if they begin MEB proceedings-

You could possible be eligible for CRDP or CRSC but not enough info here-if you have to take early out due to disability-

those programs depend on many other factors too- all info here available under search feature-

The MiL has to now use the same rating criteria as VA does- personally I think you should apply for TDIU as soon as you get out (100% comp rate) but VA will rate as the military rates you-

if they are in fact using same rating criteria.

15 years might be the cutting edge on what is most beneficial for you to do-

Go to DFAS or Military.com if you cannot find my CRDP CRSC posts.

COmbat Related Special Comp

Concurrent Receipt Disability Payment

I hope they mention these programs for more benefits at the transition briefings when they muster you out--my daughter (USAF) said they had officers and enlisted in same briefings-as well as VA guy and a vet rep-she went to Navy briefing -it was better than USAF one (dont tell anyone in AF I said that)and that could be the chance to meet a vet rep and begin your VA claims process.

Hope others chime in we have vets here with similiar problems as you have and they can share how VA rates them.

Your discharge will also determine if you should apply for TDIU right away-but I think you should based on what I see here.

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.