Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is It Normal For Eegs To Flip Flop Over The Years

Rate this question

RockyA1911

Question

When I filed my original claim back in Nov 76 for post concussion residuals due to Brain Trauma I was awarded 10% in view of no objective findings. I filed for an increase in rating in Mar 05.

The TBI occurred in 1972 while in service in the Marine Corps. At that time I had a compound depressed skull fracture with left temporal lobe contusion, chronic. The Navy at GL NH performed a crainiotomy, brain debridement with boned fragments and fracture imbedded in the brain. The dura was lacerated. At that time I was given an EEG of which the results showed abnormal with a "clear focal slowing in the left temporal area" and that "this condition may improve over time."

In 1973 I underwent a crainioplasty leaving a 4.5cm x 4.5cm skull loss and afterwards had another EEG of which at that time stated "essentially normal" and I was returned to full duty.

In 1977 I had a C&P after discharge from the Marine Corps of which another EEG was taken of which the VA declared it "essentially normal" EEG. This is where the 10% was awarded initially back dated to Nov 76, the EDD.

Just had a EEG at the VAMC in Feb 06 and guess what? Now the results are an abnormal EEG stating the same abnormality as the very first abnormal EEG back in 1972.

Is it possible to go from abnormal EEG in 1972, have two successive normal EEGs, and then over time another EEG is given that shows abnormal. Do EEGs flip flop like that.

Anyway, in my limited thinking it appears I actually had abnormal EEGs with the same condition I have now all along. I need to know if it is possible for EEGs to read from abnormal to normal and back to abnormal again with the same abnormality as the first abnormal EEG?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I think sometimes that they read whatever the doctor or doctors want them to read....Then maybe they were initially read by someone that didn't know what they were reading and maybe they were finally read by a qualified doctor...Just my thought....I had something similar about the reading of my MRI of my back and was treated for narrowing of the spinal canal and when I filed for increase they seemed to have healed on the last MRI....

Guest Morgan

My first thought goes to medication. Are you taking any, and if so, have you had any changes over the years? Some meds are more effective than others.

Is it possible that the latest test warrants an increased rating?

Carrie

Rocky - On your original 1976 - 10 % SC award, do you know what diagnostic code they awarded it under ?

There are so many variables in EEG readings. Example's

amount of sleep you've had - amount of stress - meds, even quite a few OTC -

couple of beers or glasses of wine - quality of test performed - quality of test results - etc...

Have you gotten any SC for diagnostic code 5296, skull, loss of part of etc...

Have you had a brain MRI to check for atrophy or any other diagnosis.

carlie

Edited by carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

Guest Jim S.

I find your stories facinating. I had a cerebral concussion while hospitilized for an acute schizophrenic episode, It showed an EEG with an adnormal frontal lobe slow wave form. During my first claim and C&P exam, the examiner looked me over and pronounced me cured of my adnomal EEG frontal slow wave form, basically stating he could clearly see that the adnomal EEG had abated and I was now normal.

It's amzing that the VA has such clarvoyant C&P examiners conducting these exams. It must be a comfort to all that those who believe in Extra Sensory Perception, includes the VA. What is next, Tea Leaf readings, Rolling of the Bones, Terro Card Reading, Devine healing, Voodoo Surgeries for Tumors. I can go on and on, and it reads like some of the TV progaming has brought about a new insight by the VA in deciding which claims are to be approved or disapproved.

I still ask about getting a new EEG test, to see it things have gotten back to normal, but I think the VA is affraid at what it will show and they will have to pay me back to 1974.

Anyone know what it costs to have an EEG done and read by an expert?

Jim S. :(

Carlie,

The DC for rating decision in Nov 76 is DC 8045-9304 Stating:

"Residuals post concussion syndrome with brain trauma, temporal lobe contusion, left, chronic. The condition was in line of duty. Neurological examination was to a large extent within normal limits although outlines of the skull defect were palpated in the left temporal parietal area."

I had claimed the skull loss w/brain hernia on the same form at the same time but it was listed as "Skull Defect 4.5cm x 4.5cm" and that is what the Navy called it in the med boards and medical records after the crainotomy. I have claimed it as retro for DC 5296 on my current pending claim dated 25Mar05 (Yeah, almost a year old). It was never adjucated, but is mentioned numerous times in all the military SMRs and VA records.

The only meds I was taking over the years is Prevacid, and now Aciphex for Barrett's esophagus. Would that change anything? I don't drink but I smoke cigarettes.

I have an MRI scheduled for 17 Mar 06 at the VAMC.

EEG results are very often variable. Example: epileptic siezures are often diagnosed without a positive EEG finding because it can only detect abnormal brain waves while an actuall siezure is happening. One abnormal EEG should sound alarm bells.

I strongly suggest neuro-psychological testing. It is the best indicator of brain damage and will confirm dementia.

I mention dementia because code 8045 states:

8045 Brain disease due to trauma:

Purely neurological disabilities, such as hemiplegia,

epileptiform seizures, facial nerve paralysis, etc.,

following trauma to the brain, will be rated under the

diagnostic codes specifically dealing with such disabilities,

with citation of a hyphenated diagnostic code (e.g., 8045-

8207).

Purely subjective complaints such as headache, dizziness,

insomnia, etc., recognized as symptomatic of brain trauma,

will be rated 10 percent and no more under diagnostic code

9304. This 10 percent rating will not be combined with any

other rating for a disability due to brain trauma. Ratings in

excess of 10 percent for brain disease due to trauma under

diagnostic code 9304 are not assignable in the absence of a

diagnosis of multi-infarct dementia associated with brain

trauma.

This is what you are rated under. As you can see, without a diagnoses of dementia, under this code, you are already rated as high as the law allows. Nuero-psych testing is about the only undisputable way to get the diagnoses.

I'm rated 100% for dementia (cognative dissorder) due to brain trauma and major depressive dissorder. Neuro-psych testing was the determining factor. I've never had an EEG though it is beileved my injury is causing seizures. I was unaware that I had a cognative dissorder before testing. My diagnoses has allways been Post Concusion Syndrome.

VA facilities are extremely backloged on testing. I suggest private neuro-psych evaluation if possible.

Hope this helps.

Time