Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is It Normal For Eegs To Flip Flop Over The Years

Rate this question

RockyA1911

Question

When I filed my original claim back in Nov 76 for post concussion residuals due to Brain Trauma I was awarded 10% in view of no objective findings. I filed for an increase in rating in Mar 05.

The TBI occurred in 1972 while in service in the Marine Corps. At that time I had a compound depressed skull fracture with left temporal lobe contusion, chronic. The Navy at GL NH performed a crainiotomy, brain debridement with boned fragments and fracture imbedded in the brain. The dura was lacerated. At that time I was given an EEG of which the results showed abnormal with a "clear focal slowing in the left temporal area" and that "this condition may improve over time."

In 1973 I underwent a crainioplasty leaving a 4.5cm x 4.5cm skull loss and afterwards had another EEG of which at that time stated "essentially normal" and I was returned to full duty.

In 1977 I had a C&P after discharge from the Marine Corps of which another EEG was taken of which the VA declared it "essentially normal" EEG. This is where the 10% was awarded initially back dated to Nov 76, the EDD.

Just had a EEG at the VAMC in Feb 06 and guess what? Now the results are an abnormal EEG stating the same abnormality as the very first abnormal EEG back in 1972.

Is it possible to go from abnormal EEG in 1972, have two successive normal EEGs, and then over time another EEG is given that shows abnormal. Do EEGs flip flop like that.

Anyway, in my limited thinking it appears I actually had abnormal EEGs with the same condition I have now all along. I need to know if it is possible for EEGs to read from abnormal to normal and back to abnormal again with the same abnormality as the first abnormal EEG?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I had neuropsychological evaluation by the VAMC along with all those tests. That report stated

"Generally mild neurocognitive deficits were found in new problem solving and mental flexibility, in organization of spoken language, in auditory verbal and visual attention, in graphmotor copying and visual organization, and right hand tapping speed, which are consistent with traumatic brain injury. They likely represent predominatly frontal and subcortical, primarily right cerebral hemisphere, dysfunction wand are not directly reflective of left parietal temporal impact but may reflect a contra-coup result. Nonetheless, clear evidence of cognitive impairments are present, which readily could compromise his everyday functioning, particularly in situations requiring problem solving, attention, and some visual motor skills.

Emotionally, he is overwhelmed by psychological difficulties and exasperated by his inability to resolve them. Moderate to severe depression, anxiety, disordered and unusual thinking, low energy, and social withdrawal are present as are underlying anger and hostility and limited insight. Symptoms of PTSD related to his Vietnam experiences are present. In social and employment settings, he is expected to be severely compromised."

AXIS I: 294.9 Cognitive Disorder, Not otherwise specified

293.83 Mood Disorder due to brain injury

AXIS II: None

AXIS III: Traumatic Brain Injury

AXIS IV: Social Isolation, financial concerns

AXIS V: Current GAF 55

In addition to the neuropsychology and EEG I've also seen a neurologist that set up the EEG and a forthcoming MRI middle of this month.

Is this what you call dementia?

• HadIt.com Elder

I have been diagnosed with dementia caused by a brain infarction in the parietal/occipital lobes caused by a stroke within a year of discharge, so how should that be rated and under what codes? The C&P examiner says I called a ball point pen and ballpeen hammer. who knows I might have, I read a book this week, pick it up next week and can't remember reading it. Good thing I like the same type authors, saves me a lot of money on having to buy new books. My brain can't handle mutiple tasks like trying to play video games like Nintendo, etc I get to frustrated and just can't handle it, and I get the worst head aches when I try to focus on stuff like that.

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

Guest Jim S.

Testvet: How many Veterans must you have to put together a whole and properly working brain? LoL :(

Don't feel like you are alone, I like Luis Lamour wessterns and I'm like you, given a few days to a week and I can pick up the same book and it reads as if I had never read it. Sometimes I will remember a sentance or an insodence in the story line, but that's about the best I can do. Beside, I used be able to read a paper back in a day or so or weekend, now I am lucky if I can get a chapter read before my mind gets heavy and things become clouded and I want to sleep because I am so fatigued.

I'm told it is a form of AOADD (Adult Onset Attention Deffiset Disorder) But I believe it is from my concussion during the service which caused a frontal lobe slow wave form and which may have either stayed with me or the cause of something else.

Jin S. :P

I had neuropsychological evaluation by the VAMC along with all those tests. That report stated

"Generally mild neurocognitive deficits were found in new problem solving and mental flexibility, in organization of spoken language, in auditory verbal and visual attention, in graphmotor copying and visual organization, and right hand tapping speed, which are consistent with traumatic brain injury. They likely represent predominatly frontal and subcortical, primarily right cerebral hemisphere, dysfunction wand are not directly reflective of left parietal temporal impact but may reflect a contra-coup result. Nonetheless, clear evidence of cognitive impairments are present, which readily could compromise his everyday functioning, particularly in situations requiring problem solving, attention, and some visual motor skills.

Emotionally, he is overwhelmed by psychological difficulties and exasperated by his inability to resolve them. Moderate to severe depression, anxiety, disordered and unusual thinking, low energy, and social withdrawal are present as are underlying anger and hostility and limited insight. Symptoms of PTSD related to his Vietnam experiences are present. In social and employment settings, he is expected to be severely compromised."

AXIS I: 294.9 C

293.83 Mood Disorder due to brain injury

AXIS II: None

AXIS III: Traumatic Brain Injury

AXIS IV: Social Isolation, financial concerns

AXIS V: Current GAF 55

In addition to the neuropsychology and EEG I've also seen a neurologist that set up the EEG and a forthcoming MRI middle of this month.

Is this what you call dementia?

Yep. Your report is simular to mine. Except I had Major depression listed rather than mood dissorder and my GAF was 38. AXIS II, III and IV are exactly the same. My cognative deficit is a bit more severe.

Also I was coded 9310-9434: Cognative Disorder, Depression, Residuals of head injury. That took me out of the 8045 Code and eliminated the 10% question.

Testvet,

I'll look that up for you as soon as I can. I'm sure I have it here somewhere.

Time

Guest allanopie

Hello Time,

My medical records resemble yours, except the dementia is tied to MS. I have a GAF of 35 & a GAF of 45.

In daily life, dealing with the physical issues isn't easy. Dealing with the mental part is worse for me.