Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is It Normal For Eegs To Flip Flop Over The Years

Rate this question

RockyA1911

Question

When I filed my original claim back in Nov 76 for post concussion residuals due to Brain Trauma I was awarded 10% in view of no objective findings. I filed for an increase in rating in Mar 05.

The TBI occurred in 1972 while in service in the Marine Corps. At that time I had a compound depressed skull fracture with left temporal lobe contusion, chronic. The Navy at GL NH performed a crainiotomy, brain debridement with boned fragments and fracture imbedded in the brain. The dura was lacerated. At that time I was given an EEG of which the results showed abnormal with a "clear focal slowing in the left temporal area" and that "this condition may improve over time."

In 1973 I underwent a crainioplasty leaving a 4.5cm x 4.5cm skull loss and afterwards had another EEG of which at that time stated "essentially normal" and I was returned to full duty.

In 1977 I had a C&P after discharge from the Marine Corps of which another EEG was taken of which the VA declared it "essentially normal" EEG. This is where the 10% was awarded initially back dated to Nov 76, the EDD.

Just had a EEG at the VAMC in Feb 06 and guess what? Now the results are an abnormal EEG stating the same abnormality as the very first abnormal EEG back in 1972.

Is it possible to go from abnormal EEG in 1972, have two successive normal EEGs, and then over time another EEG is given that shows abnormal. Do EEGs flip flop like that.

Anyway, in my limited thinking it appears I actually had abnormal EEGs with the same condition I have now all along. I need to know if it is possible for EEGs to read from abnormal to normal and back to abnormal again with the same abnormality as the first abnormal EEG?

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Allen,

I know what you mean. I get sooooo mad at myself when I can't keep up with the rest of the world.

Testvet,

The information your looking for is under Title 38, ch1, Part 4, Sec. 4.130. and Sec. 4.124a.

There are different avenues to pursue so going through the codes to best match your situation would be best. 9305 is Vascular Dementia. They are rated under the general rating scale for mental disorders.

8009 is Brain, vessels, hemorrage from:

I hope this gives you a starting point. There are too many possible approaches for a diffinative diagnostic code.

Time