Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Guess My Vahc Isn't Without It's Flaws

Rate this question

Rockhound

Question

While watching a pre-recorded movie off my TEVO, I caught just a small bit at the end which had some disturbing news. Apparently a Female Veteran, whose daughter was taking care of her, was also abusing her as well, what that intells I do not know, she was first taken to one of the hospitals in Reno, NV and for some reason when it was found out she was a Veteran, they tried to get her transfered to the local VAHC and was refused services. Why I do not know nor do I have anymore information on this matter, I was hoping someone with better researching skills could help me to find more about this so it could be posted.

I'm sorry I don't have any information other than it may have happened around the 7th of July, give or take a day or two. Please help me locate this information, so it gets the attention it so rightly deserves and not just a quick notice and then forgottem. Oh yea, I did note that the local channel 4 carried the story.

Rockhound Rider ;)

Are you a paranoid schizophrenic

if the ones you think are out to

get you, really are?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

I found the information and it isn't very good. This Female Navy Veteran was apparently victamised, not just by her sister who was charged with her care, The VAHC, and the Hospital, I wrongfully listed in Reno, NV. and the Date as well Here is what I could find out.

Joe Hart- News 4

The death of a Carson City Navy veteran is under investigation and detectives say it might have been preventable.

Fifty-five year-old Sandra Von Dracek was allegedly abused by her sister while being cared for at home. Von Dracek was admitted to Carson-Tahoe Medical Center for treatment. The staff at Carson-Tahoe then tried to get Von Dracek admitted to the VA hospital where she'd been treated in the past. The VA rejected Von Dracek, in part, because they said she had been victimized at the hospital in the past.

So the veteran went back home to be cared for by her sister. Two weeks later, on May 15, Sandra Von Dracek was dead. While an official cause of death has yet to be determined, authorities say its a troubling case.

"I would have to say the Veterans Hospital was in the best position to accept Ms. Von Dracek back into the hospital. They had the most knowledge of her condition" said Detective Craig Lowe with the Carson City Sheriff's Department. "I certainly would not accept that a person was a sex assault victim as a viable reason to deny her benefits."

News 4 requested an interview the Chief of Staff at the VA hospital but our request was denied.

While the investigation continues, Sandra Von Dracek's sister Patricia will be in court July 29th on abuse charges.

I'm wondering why, if she was abused by her sister, why the Carson Hospital would discharge her back into that type of invironment, even though the VAHC refused her their services. It seems the Carson Hospital holds some of the responsibility for her evential death as well.

I thought I would never hear of something like this having occured to a Veteran who has been treated in the past and then refused services because she may have had a sexual assault case pending against any person working or being a Veteran seeking services their too.

I just don't know what else to say, it is so upsetting to me to hear about these types of things happening and to have it happen with the VAHC I get my medical services from as well.

Rockhound Rider :D ;) :)

While watching a pre-recorded movie off my TEVO, I caught just a small bit at the end which had some disturbing news. Apparently a Female Veteran, whose daughter was taking care of her, was also abusing her as well, what that intells I do not know, she was first taken to one of the hospitals in Reno, NV and for some reason when it was found out she was a Veteran, they tried to get her transfered to the local VAHC and was refused services. Why I do not know nor do I have anymore information on this matter, I was hoping someone with better researching skills could help me to find more about this so it could be posted.

I'm sorry I don't have any information other than it may have happened around the 7th of July, give or take a day or two. Please help me locate this information, so it gets the attention it so rightly deserves and not just a quick notice and then forgottem. Oh yea, I did note that the local channel 4 carried the story.

Rockhound Rider B)

Are you a paranoid schizophrenic

if the ones you think are out to

get you, really are?

that poor woman. failed by so many. i hope her name and diginity is vindicated in her death. sounds like that detective will do what he can for her. this VAHC needs to be called out on this crap. and i hope her sister gets full prosecution.