Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Morphine And Driving Privilages

Rate this question

peter9237

Question

Went to renew my drivers lisence a few weeks ago at the county office because the mail in form said $20.00 and in my state if you're 100% it's free, hence the county office in person. The person taking care of me started the interview and then walked away, a few minutes later she comes back with a "supervisor" who asks "how long you been in that wheelchair?, Do you have special controls in your vehichle? Can you walk at all?" I say, I've been using a wheelchair for eighteen years and never been asked these questions before, no, I do not require any special controls and yes I can walk but it's not a comfortable thing to do. She says, "please walk over to that wall and back". I say, I am in a considerable amount of discomfort today and would prefer not to. She says, "That's okay, if it bothers you, okay. Then, you will have to be tested for your license and we are not picking on you". I say, look, if I would have spent the twenty dollars and mailed this in I would not be being harrassed like I am now and I have never been treated like this in twenty years.

Well I was issued my license that day and a week later I get a letter from guess who. "Please report to the county licensing office for an interview on this date and please bring another licensed driver with you, AND, please fill out this form naming all the drugs you are currently taking, dosaged and how many time a day etc..

Is it just me or is there something wrong here? This just don't seem right. No matter what this person said, I was singled out because I was in my wheelchair and now I'm being asked to go through things that no one else was being asked to do and I think that the drugs I take are no bodies buessinie but my own and my VA doctors.

If anyone has any views on this would you please send them...

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

in most states if you drive while taking controlled substances, morphine, codeine etc you can and will be charged with driving under the influence. Driving is a privilige and not a right. I quit driving 5 years ago voluntarily, and yes I take controlled substances, so for my safety as well as for other drivers I quit driving, yes it's a pain in the azz, but it was the smart thing to do. You may feel it's an invasion of your privacy, but in reality it is not, if your vehicle is not equipped with hand controls and you depend on your legs from pressing the pedals then they have the right to see how well they function. You may end up having your license revoked, because you decided it was a discomfort to get out of your chair and walk to the wall and back. Now they are going to dig deep enough to find a way to legally take it. as far as controlled substances go I imagine the law enforcement can find out what you are being issued by who and where, DEA is pretty good at keeping track of those type of records. In Georgia/Carolina they bust people frequently for going back and forth across the river for obtaining multiple prescriptions of controlled substances. That info is not protected by the HIPA rules.

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

I found out through a discreet inquiry that I can't get a commercial lisence while taking my drugs.

That was 15 years ago and I take more, rather than less, pills today.

The 'powers' want to be sure you aren't too dangerous before turning you loose on the public streets.

When I suffered from rampaging obstructve apnea I was a bigger hazard to the public than a drunk semi driver on bald tires, and I had no idea.

I'm willing to be tested at any time because it's the right thing to do.

sledge

Those that need help the most are the ones least likely to receive help from the VA.

It's up to us to help each other.

sledge twkelly@hotmail.com

Guest Namvet6567

Mike - NAMI says it's a right!

Peter - Duh - next time just mail it in. ;-) I'd raise a stink about it. Do you have a handicapped plate or placard??

Here's a case that might help:

May 17, 2004

Supreme Court Upholds Right under ADA to Sue States for Discrimination

In a split decision, on May 17th, the Supreme Court allowed citizens with disabilities to sue the state of Tennessee for monetary damages under Title II of the American With Disabilities Act (ADA), in the Tennessee v. Lane case. 2004 U.S. LEXIS 3386. Had the Supreme Court ruled that private citizens are prohibited from seeking relief from the state under Title II of the ADA, it may have severely limited the power of the ADA to protect the rights of individuals with disabilities against discrimination by state agencies. The Supreme Court had previously decreed that citizens may not sue states under Title I of the ADA, which covers employment. While the Court’s decision is a victory for advocates for people with disabilities, including people with mental illnesses, the ultimate impact of the decision is unclear.

The ADA protects individuals with disabilities from discrimination, and helps ensure equal opportunity. Title II of the ADA specifically addresses state and local governments, and protects against discrimination in accessing public services, programs or activities. Title II covers a broad spectrum of state and local government functions ranging from access to public areas to voting to treatment in public healthcare institutions.

This particular case involved a man who was wheelchair bound and unable to attend his criminal trial because there was no elevator, or any other form of access, to the courtroom. He sued the state of Tennessee and was joined in this suit by a reporter who was also wheelchair bound. The state of Tennessee claimed that it was immune from an ADA suit by private citizens on the basis of the 11th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

The Supreme Court has interpreted the 11th Amendment to provide immunity for a state against all actions filed by individual citizens. However, there are exceptions to 11th Amendment state immunity, one of which is the protection of rights guaranteed under the 14th Amendment of the Constitution. The 14th Amendment includes assurances of Equal Protection and Due Process under the law. The Equal Protection Clause guarantees equal treatment of all citizens under the law, and the Due Process Clause requires fairness in public programs and procedures, including legal procedures. When determining whether an alleged violation of basic rights by a state is substantial enough to warrant an exception to state immunity, courts must assess the magnitude of the alleged state violations of 14th amendment rights, and whether the requested relief to remedy these violations is proportional to those violations.

In a previous case, Board of Education of the University of Alabama v. Garrett, the Supreme Court determined that there was not sufficient evidence to support a pattern of discrimination by state agencies against individuals with disabilities in the realm of employment. 531 U.S. 356. The Court also implied that even if there was enough evidence, the suggested relief was not proportional to the alleged violations. And so the Court decreed that citizens could not bring suit against states under Title I of the ADA, which covers discrimination in employment.

Unlike Garrett, the Court in Lane found that there is ample historical evidence of disability-based discrimination by states in access to public places such as courtrooms. Therefore, the Court concluded that Congress did not exceed its constitutional authority by granting individuals the right to seek damages against states under Title II, at least in the context of accessing public venues such as Courthouses.

While the decision in Tennessee v. Lane applies to physical access to courtrooms, the decision provides a basis for optimism that the Supreme Court will similarly uphold the right of individuals to sue states under Title II of the ADA to remedy violations of other Constitutional rights. For example, people with mental disabilities have historically been victimized by restrictive state policies, such as disenfranchisement from voting, excess institutionalization, and mandatory sterilization. In 1999, the Court ruled in Olmstead v. L. C. by Zimring. that Title II of the ADA requires individuals with mental disabilities to be placed in the least restrictive treatment possible, since excessive treatment can be stigmatizing and is a form of discrimination. 527 U.S. 581. While the Olmstead decision was qualified (i.e. there must be a doctor’s order that the individual is appropriate for less restrictive treatment and program resources are to be taken into account) the decision was still a benchmark in the history of protection from discrimination. Had the Court decided differently in Tennessee v. Lane, the potential impact of the Olmstead decision may have been mootsignificantly weakened. In the wake of the Court’s recent decision, the Olmstead decision is likely to remain good law.

I found out through a discreet inquiry that I can't get a commercial lisence while taking my drugs.

That was 15 years ago and I take more, rather than less, pills today.

The 'powers' want to be sure you aren't too dangerous before turning you loose on the public streets.

When I suffered from rampaging obstructve apnea I was a bigger hazard to the public than a drunk semi driver on bald tires, and I had no idea.

I'm willing to be tested at any time because it's the right thing to do.

sledge

Hey Sledge, long time! Did you ever have your license taken away? Pete

Mike - NAMI says it's a right!

Peter - Duh - next time just mail it in. ;-) I'd raise a stink about it. Do you have a handicapped plate or placard??

Here's a case that might help:

May 17, 2004

Supreme Court Upholds Right under ADA to Sue States for Discrimination

In a split decision, on May 17th, the Supreme Court allowed citizens with disabilities to sue the state of Tennessee for monetary damages under Title II of the American With Disabilities Act (ADA), in the Tennessee v. Lane case. 2004 U.S. LEXIS 3386. Had the Supreme Court ruled that private citizens are prohibited from seeking relief from the state under Title II of the ADA, it may have severely limited the power of the ADA to protect the rights of individuals with disabilities against discrimination by state agencies. The Supreme Court had previously decreed that citizens may not sue states under Title I of the ADA, which covers employment. While the Court’s decision is a victory for advocates for people with disabilities, including people with mental illnesses, the ultimate impact of the decision is unclear.

The ADA protects individuals with disabilities from discrimination, and helps ensure equal opportunity. Title II of the ADA specifically addresses state and local governments, and protects against discrimination in accessing public services, programs or activities. Title II covers a broad spectrum of state and local government functions ranging from access to public areas to voting to treatment in public healthcare institutions.

This particular case involved a man who was wheelchair bound and unable to attend his criminal trial because there was no elevator, or any other form of access, to the courtroom. He sued the state of Tennessee and was joined in this suit by a reporter who was also wheelchair bound. The state of Tennessee claimed that it was immune from an ADA suit by private citizens on the basis of the 11th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

The Supreme Court has interpreted the 11th Amendment to provide immunity for a state against all actions filed by individual citizens. However, there are exceptions to 11th Amendment state immunity, one of which is the protection of rights guaranteed under the 14th Amendment of the Constitution. The 14th Amendment includes assurances of Equal Protection and Due Process under the law. The Equal Protection Clause guarantees equal treatment of all citizens under the law, and the Due Process Clause requires fairness in public programs and procedures, including legal procedures. When determining whether an alleged violation of basic rights by a state is substantial enough to warrant an exception to state immunity, courts must assess the magnitude of the alleged state violations of 14th amendment rights, and whether the requested relief to remedy these violations is proportional to those violations.

In a previous case, Board of Education of the University of Alabama v. Garrett, the Supreme Court determined that there was not sufficient evidence to support a pattern of discrimination by state agencies against individuals with disabilities in the realm of employment. 531 U.S. 356. The Court also implied that even if there was enough evidence, the suggested relief was not proportional to the alleged violations. And so the Court decreed that citizens could not bring suit against states under Title I of the ADA, which covers discrimination in employment.

Unlike Garrett, the Court in Lane found that there is ample historical evidence of disability-based discrimination by states in access to public places such as courtrooms. Therefore, the Court concluded that Congress did not exceed its constitutional authority by granting individuals the right to seek damages against states under Title II, at least in the context of accessing public venues such as Courthouses.

While the decision in Tennessee v. Lane applies to physical access to courtrooms, the decision provides a basis for optimism that the Supreme Court will similarly uphold the right of individuals to sue states under Title II of the ADA to remedy violations of other Constitutional rights. For example, people with mental disabilities have historically been victimized by restrictive state policies, such as disenfranchisement from voting, excess institutionalization, and mandatory sterilization. In 1999, the Court ruled in Olmstead v. L. C. by Zimring. that Title II of the ADA requires individuals with mental disabilities to be placed in the least restrictive treatment possible, since excessive treatment can be stigmatizing and is a form of discrimination. 527 U.S. 581. While the Olmstead decision was qualified (i.e. there must be a doctor’s order that the individual is appropriate for less restrictive treatment and program resources are to be taken into account) the decision was still a benchmark in the history of protection from discrimination. Had the Court decided differently in Tennessee v. Lane, the potential impact of the Olmstead decision may have been mootsignificantly weakened. In the wake of the Court’s recent decision, the Olmstead decision is likely to remain good law.

Yes I do have a disabled license plate, had it for years, no tickets and never been singled out like this before, ever. Pete