Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Update And Advice

Rate this question

pkbivins

Question

Several years ago I had some spine xrays taken at the VA which revealed that I had severe osteopenia of my spine. My VA doc told me this was probably due to the fact I have rods along my spine, which decreases my range of motion. He used the expression, "If you don't use it, you lose it." I had a bone density test but never found out the results. I submitted this evidence to the VA, but never received a disability rating for the osteopenia. I think they lumped it into something else. I was never treated for the osteopenia. Fast forward to present, I have since had my Medicare to kick in and I have been seeing non VA docs to treat my osteopenia. I have had another bone density test which revealed that I have full blown osteoporosis (severe prone to fracture). I have been started on Actonil along with a calcium Vitamin D supplement. In my opinion this should have been treated 3 years ago when the osteopenia was first diagnosed by the VA. Now the condition has become worse. I have submitted this new evidence to the VA and will be getting another C&P exam. Do you think this condition may be rated retroactively from the time I submitted 3 years ago? In a nut shell the condition was first diagnosed 3 years ago as osteopenia. It went untreated and now has developed into full blown osteoprosis. My feeling is if it had been treated 3 years ago the condition would not have developed to its present stated. Thanks for your help.

Phil

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

Thanks for the reply. I had an 8 level spinal fusion w/rods as a result of a back injury while on active duty. The VA doc told me the osteopenia was probably a result of the rods. The rods severly limit my range of motion. As a result of the lack of range of motion the osteopenia came about. Its like not using a muscle, if you don't use the muscle after awhile the muscle begins to degenerate. Thats the story I got. Therefore, I have submitted this new evidence.