Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What Should I Expect?

Rate this question

parsavers

Question

Guys and Gals,

Quick question based on your experiences...I recently filed for disablity due to IBS. This is a presumptive condition base on the Gulf War. My first doctors visit was in 1991 and another in 1998. I just filed this as a service connected because I just found out that this was a presumptive condition. What should I expect???? Would they possibly back pay the disability back to the first doctors appointment??? I don't expect that to happen but they did back pay my previous disability claim. If they did, WOW...that check could be huge...

Let me know what you think will happen and I'll do my best to keep all of you updated. I go Monday for my C&P exam...any advice?

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

The blank IBS C & P exam should be fpund here at hadit for a head's up.

IBS is not as easy for Gulf War vets to gain SC for right off the bat.

This vet got IBS award (service in Southwest Asia) but the C & P doc went against the claim. He got an IMO and the claim was awarded under Benefit of DOuct (Relative Equipoise)

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp09/files3/0917118.txt

If you pout IBS into the BVA decision search browser many IBS claims will come up[ for each year showing how they are rated and why they are granted or denied.

wait a minute here-are you saying you only had 2 doctor's visits for IBS? The last one ten years ago?

I must be confused on that -

You will get the date of claim for any retro due you- I think we need more info

wait a minute here-are you saying you only had 2 doctor's visits for IBS? The last one ten years ago?

I must be confused on that -

You will get the date of claim for any retro due you- I think we need more info

I went in 1991 but I had little to no relief from the drugs that the doctors gave me. Basically, I figured that I just had to deal with it. I went back in 1998 after getting married because I was freaking out my new wife. Again, drugs prescribed but not real relief. Basically, I have found that I aviod situations that make me uncomfortable (bathroom availability) and I eat about 4 immodiums a day. Again, just figured it is what it is....

I am afraid that you lack of current medical evidence of the issue may impede your claim. I would certainly go to a doctor and get a current diagnosis at the very least. Even if I had to pay out of pocket. I think, from what you stated the VA will simply kill any claim this old without current proof of treatment and ongoing illness.

You also can get statements from your spouse or family members to support the fact that you have simply been self-medicating the problem since there seemed to be no recourse. Further statements from employers for missed days or absence do to this issue might be helpful.

Bob Smith

Edited by sixthscents

• HadIt.com Elder
I am afraid that you lack of current medical evidence of the issue may impede your claim. I would certainly go to a doctor and get a current diagnosis at the very least. Even if I had to pay out of pocket. I think, from what you stated the VA will simply kill any claim this old with current proof of treatment.

Bob Smith

I have seen a lot of gulf war vets with IBS get denied despite it supposedly being a "presumptive condition" because they lacked continuity of treatment have you red any of the BVA decisions on this condition to see the difference between the cases that get granted and those that get denied so you can improve your chance of getting it awarded? If they grant it at 10% it will be from the date you file the claim not back to 1991 or even 1998 if you did not pursue a claim if you started one back then.