Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Staph Infection

Rate this question

mrsvet28

Question

Just curious if anyone ever got a Staph infection from a surgery-and if so does it show up unexpectedly at any time? MrVet has an open sore by groin that starts out looking like a bite --it has like 4 pinpoints on it and then goes into a fullblown oozing sore--always either above or below where it first broke out-it showed up after a cysto-and now also always has hives and welts-he did have a Turp when equip. malfunctioned-and it cost him alot of years being unable to p w/out pain-finally farmed out last year and had a succesful turp--if you remember the VA said he had cancer -but he didnt and they would have removed his bladder.......anyone with similar-they dont know whats wrong with him-could this be AO many years later???

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
Just curious if anyone ever got a Staph infection from a surgery-and if so does it show up unexpectedly at any time? MrVet has an open sore by groin that starts out looking like a bite --it has like 4 pinpoints on it and then goes into a fullblown oozing sore--always either above or below where it first broke out-it showed up after a cysto-and now also always has hives and welts-he did have a Turp when equip. malfunctioned-and it cost him alot of years being unable to p w/out pain-finally farmed out last year and had a succesful turp--if you remember the VA said he had cancer -but he didnt and they would have removed his bladder.......anyone with similar-they dont know whats wrong with him-could this be AO many years later???

I did a search online on google under sterilization of equipment AND V.A. AND TURP. This resulted in me finding a document entitled

Patient Safety Advisory

Veterans Health Administration Warning System Published by V.A. Central Office in January 2007. The document indicates that V.A. has in some cases been improperly sterilizing cystoscopes used in some TURP (transuretheral resection of the prostate) procedures. Would someone here at hadit put up a link to this document? First, let me suggest to this veteran that he should printout multiple copies of this document right away before the pathway to this document becomes unavailable online. I suggest the veteran get some testing outside V.A. for AIDS, hepatitis, and other infections. I'm not sure if improper sterilization of a cystoscope could cause these problems but I think this veteran should be tested. I also suggest that he get copies of his medical records from V.A. but that he not let V.A. know why he is requesting his records. Remember VAMC probably has the only report in their possession showing he had a cystoscope. Those medical records would also prove he developed problems later after the cystoscope was performed. According to the website NVOA News, V.A. does occasionally get sued for medical malpractice so this veteran may need to talk to a medical malpractice attorney. He should also read 38 USC 1151. He should consider making a written claim to V.A. for disability under 38 USC 1151 after he obtains his medical records from VAMC proving he had the TURP procedure and developed problems afterward, and after he ascertains what medical conditions he has incurred related to his TURP procedure. I'm also thinking that ever he gets all his records together and has been tested for problems related to this improper sterilization of equipment by V.A., he can then consider going to the media and discussing his health problems whiche he blames on V.A. I suggest this because even with the right documentation, VARO could spend years, otherwise, getting one "medical expert" after another to state that none of this veterans problems are related to improper sterilization of equipment at V.A. By the way, my husband suggests this veteran should chew up some fresh garlic every day to help fight off infection. He says this is an ancient antibiotic that works on everything.

Edited by deltaj

I did a search online on google under sterilization of equipment AND V.A. AND TURP. This resulted in me finding a document entitled

Patient Safety Advisory

Veterans Health Administration Warning System Published by V.A. Central Office in January 2007. The document indicates that V.A. has in some cases been improperly sterilizing cystoscopes used in some TURP (transuretheral resection of the prostate) procedures. Would someone here at hadit put up a link to this document? First, let me suggest to this veteran that he should printout multiple copies of this document right away before the pathway to this document becomes unavailable online. I suggest the veteran get some testing outside V.A. for AIDS, hepatitis, and other infections. I'm not sure if improper sterilization of a cystoscope could cause these problems but I think this veteran should be tested. I also suggest that he get copies of his medical records from V.A. but that he not let V.A. know why he is requesting his records. Remember VAMC probably has the only report in their possession showing he had a cystoscope. Those medical records would also prove he developed problems later after the cystoscope was performed. According to the website NVOA News, V.A. does occasionally get sued for medical malpractice so this veteran may need to talk to a medical malpractice attorney. He should also read 38 USC 1151. He should consider making a written claim to V.A. for disability under 38 USC 1151 after he obtains his medical records from VAMC proving he had the TURP procedure and developed problems afterward, and after he ascertains what medical conditions he has incurred related to his TURP procedure. I'm also thinking that ever he gets all his records together and has been tested for problems related to this improper sterilization of equipment by V.A., he can then consider going to the media and discussing his health problems whiche he blames on V.A. I suggest this because even with the right documentation, VARO could spend years, otherwise, getting one "medical expert" after another to state that none of this veterans problems are related to improper sterilization of equipment at V.A. By the way, my husband suggests this veteran should chew up some fresh garlic every day to help fight off infection. He says this is an ancient antibiotic that works on everything.

Thanks for your response-as you said I did right away get copies of the "equipment malfunction "(while they were doing it)/ he was MIA for about 6 hours--was supossed to be 1 hour surgery or so- my daughter and I sure did panic!! he has had 11 cystos since 1999(have copies of them too)-and finally when we farmed out to private urologist - they did it right and he can pee again without crying or p-ing blood--and the garlic ,good idea, as I make what you call"natures penicillin" 24 cloves of garlic and 1/2 jar honey-just press on the garlic till it splits , pour in rest of honey,leave in the sunlight for 2 weeks-then it becomes opaqueish and fill with honey-2 tbls. a day-really does fight colds..etc..I remember when my kids were little, everyday they washed it down with carrot juice-and then my DR> penalized me when (my kid stepped on a nail and needed tetnaus)I hadnt gone there for 6 years!! and charged me as a new patient.!..PS our lawyer is med malpractice too-right now we are wating on remand for a very long PTSD claim11 yrs....and counting..Thanks will keep you posted ...MrsVet

• HadIt.com Elder
Thanks for your response-as you said I did right away get copies of the "equipment malfunction "(while they were doing it)/ he was MIA for about 6 hours--was supossed to be 1 hour surgery or so- my daughter and I sure did panic!! he has had 11 cystos since 1999(have copies of them too)-and finally when we farmed out to private urologist - they did it right and he can pee again without crying or p-ing blood--and the garlic ,good idea, as I make what you call"natures penicillin" 24 cloves of garlic and 1/2 jar honey-just press on the garlic till it splits , pour in rest of honey,leave in the sunlight for 2 weeks-then it becomes opaqueish and fill with honey-2 tbls. a day-really does fight colds..etc..I remember when my kids were little, everyday they washed it down with carrot juice-and then my DR> penalized me when (my kid stepped on a nail and needed tetnaus)I hadnt gone there for 6 years!! and charged me as a new patient.!..PS our lawyer is med malpractice too-right now we are wating on remand for a very long PTSD claim11 yrs....and counting..Thanks will keep you posted ...MrsVet

Maybe I am not making myself clear. Under 38 USC 1151 your husband had be paid compensation for his disability as if the disability was service-connected if the disability was caused by V.A. negligence. He should file a claim for this benefit.

Maybe I am not making myself clear. Under 38 USC 1151 your husband had be paid compensation for his disability as if the disability was service-connected if the disability was caused by V.A. negligence. He should file a claim for this benefit.

Thats easy to say, what makes you think they will admit something like this?- they give him benedryl and mosturizing lotion for the rashes - and facial swelling/ and they kept calling "bladder hypertrophy "which is not service-connectable to my knowledge-but I have "bladder calculi "in some of his uro.reports- which I believe is a pre-requesite condition to bladder cancer which is AO service-connectable.