Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd And Tbi

Rate this question

signalsix

Question

is it possible to be rated for both TBI and PTSD or would that be pyramiding?

The reason I ask, when I meet with the Phycologist during my TBI testing she said I have both PTSD and TBI. But I asked her not to report the PTSD because of my job / security clearance. I have since been rated at 40% for Cognitive Disorder NOS residual of TBI and just wondering if the PTSD would even have an effect on my rating.

Thanks

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

is it possible to be rated for both TBI and PTSD or would that be pyramiding?

Thanks

Answer: Yes you can be rated and compensated separetly

for TBI and PTSD ~ it's just a bugger for a MH professional

and/or Neurology to figure out which parts are not co-morbid.

jmho,

carlie

PTSD and TBI are separate now as of 23 October, 2008. That was a change to the diagnostic code 8045, 38 CFR part 4 rating criteria. Prior to the new recent updated rating criteria I had just a 10% for post concussion residuals, left temporal lobe contusion chronic since 1976 up until March of 2005 when I was diagnosed with PTSD.

In Jan, 2007 the VA combined the TBI with the PTSD and assigned one rating of 50% as post concussion residuals, left temporal lobe contusion, chronic with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

The VA contacted me to notify me of the new rating criteria for TBI dated 23 October, 2008 and that if I desired to sign and send back the form requesting I be re-evaluated under the new criteria as they stated it would more than likely lead to a higher evaluation than previous.

The VA sent me the new award letter this past September with TBI and PTSD separated and I got 70% for TBI residuals and 70% for PTSD with retro to 23 October, 2008.

Normally with a TBI, especially an open head injury PTSD goes with it. But they are to be evaluated separately under two distinct diagnostic codes,......8045 for TBI Residuals and 9411 for PTSD.

PTSD DOES NOT AFFECT YOUR SECURITY CLEARANCE. IT IS AN ANXIETY DISORDER in the same category as sleep disorder....etc. If you are 100%, you are unemployable anyway.

Wow, 70 and 70 that is great. At the time of the TBI eval, the DoD required the reporting of any sessions with Phycologist or Psychiatrist, but since then they have change the Clearance requirements that you do not have to report any treatment that was for symptoms from "war" So now I might go back to the Phycologist and see what she says.

PTSD and TBI are separate now as of 23 October, 2008. That was a change to the diagnostic code 8045, 38 CFR part 4 rating criteria. Prior to the new recent updated rating criteria I had just a 10% for post concussion residuals, left temporal lobe contusion chronic since 1976 up until March of 2005 when I was diagnosed with PTSD.

Rocky - this is not true.

PTSD was not ever considered a part of DC 8045 prior to Oct 2008,

and VA did not even consider 8045 to be TBI - they listed it simply

as Brain Disease Due to Trauma.

Prior to Oct 2008 - DC 8045 - Brain disease due to trauma (by itself),

was limited to 10 % if the claimant did not also have DC 9304 Dementia.

(There was also a way to be service connected for personality disorder

due to the old DC 8045 - Brain Disease Due To Trauma.)

If the claimant had Dementia then the reg stated VA could grant as a hyphenated rating of (example)

8045-9304 percentages (8045) 10 percent - (9304) 30 percent.

Also - pre Oct 2008 if the claimant had DC 8045 at ten percent

with comorbid seizure activity due to the same DC 8045, it was to

be rated separetly and hyphenated under DC's 8045-8910/8911.

There was NO Schedule of Rating TBI's at all,until the Oct 2008

change in the Schedule of Rating Disabilities.

Although we all know TBI - has been around forever - it is the

new signature series of rating multiple disabilities as a result

of our current OIF/OEF wars.

The VA contacted me to notify me of the new rating criteria for TBI dated 23 October, 2008 and that if I desired to sign and send back the form requesting I be re-evaluated under the new criteria as they stated it would more than likely lead to a higher evaluation than previous.

The VA sent me the new award letter this past September with TBI and PTSD separated and I got 70% for TBI residuals and 70% for PTSD with retro to 23 October, 2008.

Rocky,

What the VA truly did was:

1) Re-evaluate your old DC 8045 head injury and residual effects - under the new Oct 2008 Rating Criteria.

2) Evaluate and service connect you for PTSD.

Rocky,

I am not posting this correction for arguments sake or to

belittle you in any way - because you have fought hard and

have done a great job.

I am posting the correct explanation of the specifics of the

change in Rating Criteria because claims are to be rated by

the Schedule of Rating Disabilities in existence at the time

the Rating Decision is promulgated.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder
Wow, 70 and 70 that is great. At the time of the TBI eval, the DoD required the reporting of any sessions with Phycologist or Psychiatrist, but since then they have change the Clearance requirements that you do not have to report any treatment that was for symptoms from "war" So now I might go back to the Phycologist and see what she says.

if you have PTSD then it is best to get it rated now so if things do get worse in the future it will be faster for you to get a rate increase etc if you ignore it now and your PTSD worsens you will regret not doing it.....

you have to make the choice to get it diagnosed and make the claim no one the VA or anyone else can make you seek treatment, swallow pills, or anything else, I have been known to take the pills and most of the time I will take them private message me on how I handle it from there

Don't make the same mistake I did and "coped" with the symptoms for years and refused to seek help I was a "man" after all I had spent years telling the privates to "suck it up" "Be a man" "deal with it" and spent most nights getting drunk to the point where I passed out, I worked at the Post Office where half the carriers were ex military and had PTSD themselves I watched a lot of them start out at 30% or 50% then after a few trips to inpatient treatment get bumped up to 70% and I watched a lot of them get fired in 20 years there, then after they were fired for "going postal" on a supervisor they got TDIU and then got SSD for PTSD and they were making more money staying home than they did working at the Post Office including their overtime

do what is best for you and your family don't be like me and end up divorced 4 times, married 5 2 DUI's, no drivers license, a few stays in county jail because I refused to admit I had a "problem" until Jan 2003, I have been 100% schedular dated back to Dec 2003 if I feel like fighting the VA over the way they improperly handled a informal claim I filed in Nov 2002 I could win 100% SMC S back to then an extra 13 months pay after 7 years of fighting with them I am not sure I want to start another appeal I finally got the BVA to award my cardiac problems secondary to my PTSD in April 2009, and the award letter in June 2009.

I have had a stroke and 7 heart attacks and a failed triple bypass and 2 stents that have collapsed and a heart ejection fraction of 25%

Do your self a favor and don't wait until you end up like me to file the claim...all our lives we have heard how stress kills until you file a claim on cardiac problems secondary to PTSD then the VARO will tell you stress has nothing to do with cardiac problems ROFL.....

I hope you at least get some help on how to deal with the symptoms you have PTSD is a NORMAL reaction to abnormal activities and war is an abnormal activity