Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diabetes Insipidus And Closed Head Injuries

Rate this question

Dav

Question

I am new to the board. Thank you for any advice that might be put forward.

I was medically discharged due to a closed head injury incurred during a routine jump. I spent time at Walter Reed & Emory Hospital. I was awarded a rating of 30% for some nerve damage and post concussion syndrome. That was 5 years ago.

Since that time, I've had continuing medical problems. My internist (and primary) referred me to an endocrinologist who discovered through blood work and a MRI that I have diabetes insipidus. My body releases over 2 gallons of water, leaving me in a constant state of deydration, reduced cerebellum functioning, urination several times an hour, and high levels of fatigue. I was informed that this condition results from brain tumor or brain trauma. He is willing to write a letter, and provide test results, that it is his opinion it is the result of my accident in the military. Further, my body is proving resistant to the medication, vassopressin, that is, my kidneys won't take the medication because they are inhibited from lack of the chemical. The diagnosis, in the endo's opinion, should have occurred during treatment while in service.

Also, I was referred to a memory disorder clinic. As noted in the initial write-up, but disregarded, I claimed memory difficulties. The neurologist at the clinic has been examing me, ordering loads of tests, and has me linked to a university scientist who concentrates on closed head injuries and reduced cognitive functioning. Both are willing to write letters, and provide test results, that my cognitive functioning has continued to decrease, effecting my attentional, retention and processing abilities.

My questions are:

1) Is this enough to present to the Claims Board?

2) How do I go about this -- what should their letters actually include, where are they sent, etc.

3) What are the chances for a successful claim?

4) What sort of ratings typically are assigned for these conditions?

I do not mind doing the leg work if you kind people can direct me.

Thank you.

Dav

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Dav- you should just write them a letter stating that you are claiming diabetes insipidus and all of the complications (whatever the med tests reveal)- memory problems- etc, anything else at all- any kidney problems at all (hope not) but any condition directly related to the inservice trauma.

Also I would refer to and attach the medical opinions that show the nexus (link) to service and the doc should tell the VA how their background renders their opinion probative.

This way- you are stating conditions directly linked to your inservice trauma

you are enclosing medical proof of that fact

this is all they really need to make an award (although they might give you a C & P)

and you last question? is if this condition has made you unemployable- and if a doctor can state that and give reasons why-

memory deficits, urinary problems, and processing problems-then you should qualify for TDIU- a total award due to unemployability.

If you are unemployed presently and have had employment problems- I would ask one of the docs -a Neuro is hard to beat-to state that you are unemployable and then send the TDIU form along with your re-opened claim.

Make sure you put your c file number on the letter and send it to your VARO- list whatever you are enclosing (send copies only) and tell them of any private med records that are available but I suggest you get them yourself and submit them to the VARO.

I am aware of this condition- my second husband had a brain tumor-(Korean War vet) it was removed successfully but the complications- particularily the insipidus due to the trauma of the surgery itself caused his electrolytes to malfunction and he was unemployable.Any severe brain trauma can have a negative side affect like this-

the vasopressin- he was given that too but it had a limited affect in controlling his water balance.

In the claim letter tell them too of any side affects of any other meds that affect your ability to work.

Veteran if I were you and you are not employed for any reason- I sure would file the TDIU form right along with your re-opened claim.

I will attach the form- under # 25 remarks- you can attach more pages , tell them here what you are attaching and tell them of any side affects of your meds as well as any other info they should have-

if you have the docs statements as to your uemployability -attach copies of them too.

Dehydration and water loss totally mess up brain power-PS -the MRI results -the narrative-that would be good to send them but sounds to me like you have good doctors who would be able to expand on the MRI as well as the cognitive tests better then just the MRI results.

Here 's the TDIU form-if you do fill it out refer to it in the claim letter ,that you have attached it.

Those Neuro cognitive tests will be fun---I say that because my third husband went through them after a stroke-

6 or 7 tests given by a real doctor (the best PTSD VA shrink around these parts) were able to determine and assess his PTSD from Nam as a mental disorder and catastrophic in impairment (100%)as well as stroke disabilities-

under 1151 ( 100% ) it took 2 days for all the tests to be complete but it is a definitive way to get results that VA cannot really challenge well.

You have basis for a very good claim here and I regret that you have gone through all of this due to your service.

TDIU_form.pdf

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Dav,

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. I can relate though. I have PCS from an in service closed head injury.

All Berta's advice is right on (as allways). File asap as it takes the VA some time to work claims. I will stress that you should include all test results along with Doctors opinions as they are undisputable. Neuropsych testing was the key my 100% award. Decreased cognative ability (poor working memory, inability to concentrate, attentional difficulties, impaired exectutive functioning) prove brain damage and unempoyability.

I'd like any information you (or anyone) have on diabetes insipidus. I was undiagnosed with PCS for 13 years and had many diagnoses for undiagnosed fatigue, Gulf War Illness, chronic fatigue, or depression. Now that I'm diagnosed with PCS I can't get anyone to address my physical symptoms of fatigue, sore joints, shaking and others.

If you have any questions about the claims process just ask. There are many here that can help.

Time

Time--

Check out the following for a good starting place to learn about diabetes insipidus:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/diabetesinsipidus.html .

This condition would have never been detected if my girlfriend did not insist that I speak with a doctor about the frequency of my urination. On a good day, I urinate over 2 gallons. So, I asked my primary if this was normal and she went from there. It helped that her partner is an endo and that she is an internist. From there, the neurologist began exploring around the pit gland -- the temporal lobe.

Good luck.