Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Letter Of Commendation

Rate this question

JamesR

Question

Does anyone know what happens to letters of commendation when you leave the military?

Are they trashed orare they used for active duty files only?

Will they help with a case with the VA? Thanks.

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder
Does anyone know what happens to letters of commendation when you leave the military?

Unless the commendation letter is specific to a stressor incident I don't know how else they could assist a VA claim in any matter, the VA does not use a merit system for awarding claims they are based solely on medical evidence and provable stressors for PTSD incidents I can't recall any of my awards or commendations that would have impacted a VA claim

we use to joke at the Post Office how many "atta boys" did you need to make up for one "aw chit"?

• HadIt.com Elder

Should be part of your "201" or personnel file. Meritorious Service Medals themselves are about useless to provide a stressor... but sometimes there is a writeup that explains why the MSM was awarded, and that writeup can confirm a stressor. But I've seen MSMs without any kind of writeup in the file as to why it was awarded. But when they have... it can make for interesting reading (remember, I spend most of my day looking at medical records of the sniffles and the occasional fracture... when I run across a writeup by Corporal Jones's* commanding officer explaining how Jones single handedly stormed the enemy position and laid down withering covering fire allowing his colleagues to reach cover resulting in a successful mission overall, yeah, that gets tabbed and flagged for the attention of the medical provider doing the PTSD exam, and I get reminded about why my job is so important.)

*all that stuff is made up for illustrative purposes on how what's in the 201 file can verify a stressor, which is why when we get a claim for PTSD, we ask for that file from whichever entity is holding it.

Edited by JamesBreckenridge