VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Seperation Medical Exam

Rate this question

81150 CAFB

Question

Good afternoon,

I separated from the USAF active duty in 1991 (4+years active) and put in a recent request for my records from the NRPC. I just receveied a copy of my 214 along with entry physical. I was also requesting a copy of my seperation medical exam. I was surprised to only see two pages regarding my seperation exam(request). The form states that I elected to have an exam during my out processing, but apparently the way the air force works is that they make the call and the form states that they reviewed my medical records and that a physical exam is not required.

Does this hurt or affect my claim to the VA? I haven't surgery etc...in my smr's but no final exam prior to seperation. Seems weird

Any comments appreciated.

Seems like I can say what I want and how I felt physically when I seperated with no exam to say otherwise. Weird.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

you can "say" whatever you want but if you expect the VA to compensate you for something you believe is SC then you better have something in your medical records "showing" you were treated for it before you were discharged they kind of like some "proof" before they agree to SC something and even then they like to deny a lot of claims until it gets to the BVA and with No "proof" it gets even harder be prepared for a lot of appeals

caf

First, the fine print on NPRC's site tells you that they send what they "think" you need on your first request.

Now you need to submit another SF180 (or letter), stating that this is a followup request for the complete contents of your personnel/medical/dental records (although, STRs should be complete).

The letter is proforma--I have a couple in my records (long story), but that is a personnel record, not a medical record. I still got the physical.

I assume, since you are asking, that you actually got the separation physical that you requested? Dumb question, had to ask. If you got the exam, it would be in your STRs. Did you get a complete copy of the STR? If not, have you ever applied for VA benefits? If so, your STRs could have be transferred to the VA.

Does this hurt or affect my claim to the VA? I haven't surgery etc

It depends on what the exam showed...if anything. If a normal exam, no. If the exam identified a condition or injury that occured in or was aggravated by service, then, yeah, I'd want it to show service connection.

One last thing, if you were hospitalized, you'll need to specifically request hospital records, clinical notes, inpatient treatment records, etc., and provide NRPC with the hospital/base and approximate dates of admission. these records are separate from your STR (which are outpatient visits) and won't be included in a generic request for medical records.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Additionally, some radiology reports may not have been filed into your treatment records (either VA or military). I actually had to visit the radiology records department in order to get the information included in my records request, after being repeatedly told by the regular records office that they did not exist. Of course, after I got my copy, I conveniently educated the regular records office...

Talked to the area VARO and they have all the records. I did no realize that they requested all of my records when I started an informal claim in September 2009. They will send me everything that they have.

Thanks

you can "say" whatever you want but if you expect the VA to compensate you for something you believe is SC then you better have something in your medical records "showing" you were treated for it before you were discharged they kind of like some "proof" before they agree to SC something and even then they like to deny a lot of claims until it gets to the BVA and with No "proof" it gets even harder be prepared for a lot of appeals

Ment to say that I had my surgery documented in my smr's and thought it was weird that I did not (not that I recall) have a separation physical... Maybe because of "stop loss" at the time?

I see that you are in Columbia. Beautiful area...lived in Lexington for 3 years. Hopefully it has grown to much.

Thanks!