Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claims Help

Rate this question

JamesPT

Question

Hello everyone. I am new here, just signed up as I need some guidance regarding claims. I am a grunt, was in small arms infantry unit Americal Division 1969-71, my NAM tour of 11 months consisted of lengthy grounds operations and the 2 week routine company security rotation of our FSB, then back to the bush. I stopped going to the VA for help many years ago, every time I showed up for assistance for PTSD and a service related foot injury I was rudely sent out the front door and told to see my personal physician. after getting into a lot of trouble and doing time in jail I decided to suck it up and deal with these issues on my own which have resulted in a great deal of stress; after 40 plus years of doing it on my own I have hit the wall as they those who run marathons, I was literally dragged by a Vet buddy to the VFW to get claims started. I filed two claims, PTSD and service connected injury to foot (suffered a stress fracture when bailing off a chopper while on hot LZ). I was evacuated from the bush and flown to headquarters hospital, spent a month there and quickly released to rejoin my platoon in the field. I was discharged from the hospital too soon with a not well healed foot, needless to say the foot began to hurt but no swelling flared, I continued the rest of my tour humping up and down the high lands with a bad foot. Just two years ago I had to have reconstructive surgery as the foot was well on its way to caving in according to the surgeon. Due to over-compensating for pain on the damaged foot my left foot has also deteriorated to the point that it needs to be operated on; there also the secondary issues that come along like knee pain, back pain, hips etc. Being a combat veteran the PTSD claim was approved rather quickly, was given 30% disability, the claim for the foot injury has been rather complicated. I submitted all medical evidence of nature of injury, timespent in hospital, my platoon medic's support statement etc. The claim was denied. I filed aan NOA and was scheduled for VBA hearing and a medical exam October of last year. Two days before the BVA hearing I was informed by my VFW rep that there was no need for a hearing as they had enough evidence and the claim would be approved; the physical exam was cancelled as well. This happened in October of lasy year, here we are in February and I have not heard from the VA as what will happen next, will my disability be increased? and so on? I live in a rural town which makes it difficult to drive to the Vets Regional. I have called the VA regional for staus of claim, I get very little info from these people. My VFW rep has helped me tremendously with claims but for whatever reason they don't answer my calls, I take it they are innundated with claims; I leave messages but get no repond. I am getting treatment for PTSD and do show up for my sessions but I am a basket case afterwards, I am on medication for nightmares, flashbacks, anxiety, etc. My PTSD is not getting any better and the foot problems just make things worse. My question is how to approach the service connected injury claim which supposedlt was approved, although I have not received official word from the VA. My second question is how do I request an increase for my 30% PTSD condition. Sorry for the lengthy post, just need someone who has gone through this nasty and complicated claims process. Thanks, your responses will be appreciated

• Answers 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet