Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need To File Claim - Lots Of Confustion

Rate this question

chr49

Question

Sorry this is so long. I'm 61 - Vietnam Vet and I'm currently rated 50% PTSD.

I have the following diagnoses on private and VA records:

. R leg PVD- with superficial femoral occlusion per private hospital-2002

. L leg PVD- for which had angioplasty/stent per VAMC -2008

. R carotid occlusion per ultrasound(told inoperable)VAMC -2008

. L carotid stenosis per ultrasound VAMC -2008

. Hypertension - since 2005 per private & VA records

. ED - since 2002 per private & VA records

Private hospital records from 2002 show a diagnosis of 440.0 Aortic Atherosclerosis and 440.21 Ath Ext NTV AT w Claudct on my Diagnosis Summary. Procedures were: Contrast Aortogram & Contrast Arteriogram-leg. The Contrast aortogram findings: " Single right & left renal arteries are widely patent. There is slight atherosclerosis of the infrarenal abdominal aorta. There is no appreciable infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm. There is no moderate or severe stenosis of the infrarenal abdominal aorta." It then goes into description of the Arteriogram which shows a greater than 20 cm occlusion.

Since then, I have gone thru several tests and procedures with the VA, for which I have not received records at this point.

Several questions: Should I file any of the above diagnosis's secondary to my PTSD? Do I have a claim for IHD? Should I simply let it all go? I believe the fact that I avoided all medical care from my discharge in '71 - '98 would make a claim difficult to prove.

I would really appreciate any advice I can get since I have very little knowledge on filing VA claims.

Note: I do not have health insurance so it would be very difficult for me to work outside the VA right now.

Edited by chr49

CHR49

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Skunk and vperl!

Thanks for the laughs...I needed them!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&7

I like to help the underpriviged doggies, my mission is to be kind to those that are in need of our team

One Shot, One Shovel

Sorry this is so long. I'm 61 - Vietnam Vet and I'm currently rated 50% PTSD.

I have the following diagnoses on private and VA records:

. R leg PVD- with superficial femoral occlusion per private hospital-2002

. L leg PVD- for which had angioplasty/stent per VAMC -2008

. R carotid artery occlusion per carotid ultrasound(told inoperable)VAMC -2008

. L carotid artery stenosis per carotid ultrasound VAMC -2008

. Hypertension - since 2005 per private & VA records

. ED - since 2002 per private & VA records

Private hospital records from 2002 show a diagnosis of 440.0 Aortic Atherosclerosis and 440.21 Ath Ext NTV AT w Claudct on my Diagnosis Summary. Procedures were: Contrast Aortogram & Contrast Arteriogram-leg. The Contrast aortogram findings: " Single right & left renal arteries are widely patent. There is slight atherosclerosis of the infrarenal abdominal aorta. There is no appreciable infrarenal abdominal aortic aneurysm. There is no moderate or severe stenosis of the infrarenal abdominal aorta." It then goes into description of the Arteriogram which shows a greater than 20 cm occlusion.

Since then, I have gone thru several tests and procedures with the VA, for which I have not received records at this point.

Several questions: Should I file any of the above diagnosis's secondary to my PTSD? Do I have a claim for IHD? Should I simply let it all go? I believe the fact that I avoided all medical care from my discharge in '71 - '98 would make a claim difficult to prove.

I would really appreciate any advice I can get since I have very little knowledge on filing VA claims.

Note: I do not have health insurance so it would be very difficult for me to work outside the VA right now.

Thanks to all...Very helpful!

When I saw my private hospital records from 2002 showing atherosclerosis in the aorta it really shook me up. If it's in the abdominal aorta it seems like it must be in the heart. The worst part is...at that time both of my carotids were clear, my B/P was good, and my left leg was fine. All of which are in bad shape now. It's a lot to get anxious about but I'm hanging in there! I'm still somewhat confused about all of this. I read the CFR's, etc. but it still leaves me unclear as to where I stand, since my case seems more vascular.

I had extensive testing at the Vascular & Cardio clinic (Nashville VAMC)in 2008, but I don't have those records yet. I don't go to my primary care doc until late in April. I've had 3 strange episodes in the past 3-4 months. The worst lasted quite a long time and I felt like I was going to faint, nauseous, and very weak. I was told my color was gray but there was no pain. The other 2 episodes were minor in comparison but all caused some weakness & shortness of breath. I refused to go to the hospital/doctor (no insurance) and we live nearly 2.5 hours from the VAMC.

Thanks again!!

Edited by chr49

CHR49

HI chr49,

It seems to me that as long as you have atherosclerosis on your list of diagnoses, then you have an IHD claim. because you don't have a lot of records???? Then they will schedule a c&p or two to gain more information about your atherosclerosis.

Now the question is what % you get. Well that all depends on the MET's etc.

Even if you get SC at 0% that is still a connection, so that if things get worse (knock on wood) that it will be easier to upgrade than get it SC'ed from the start.

Edited by hawkfire27

We are a Vietnam vet and vet's wife, we are not lawyers or VSO's we're just learning as we go.

HI chr49,

It seems to me that as long as you have atherosclerosis on your list of diagnoses, then you have an IHD claim. because you don't have a lot of records???? Then they will schedule a c&p or two to gain more information about your atherosclerosis.

Even if you get SC at 0% that is still a connection, so that if things get worse (knock on wood) that it will be easier to upgrade than get it SC'ed from the start.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

IHD must be diagnosed and provable by Medical records, THE RESULTS of about 5 or so tests the C&P folks will use

to determine the percentage of disability.

The tests will list either a EF or METS scores.....

look at the file below and compare what type of IHD and the Mets

below 3 Mets 60%

3 METS and above 30%

The VA stated in the proposed rules most vets will get 60% for IHD

Once you get the EF and METs SCORES THEN......YOU WAIT TILL THE PROCESS WORKS THROUGH THIS LONG TWISTY ROAD

S4_104.doc

Edited by vperl

One Shot, One Shovel

QUOTE (hawkfire27 @ Mar 28 2010, 03:41 AM)

HI chr49,

IHD must be diagnosed and provable by Medical records, THE RESULTS of about 5 or so tests the C&P folks will use

below 3 Mets 60%

3 METS and above 30%

Once you get the EF and METs SCORES THEN......YOU WAIT TILL THE PROCESS WORKS THROUGH THIS LONG TWISTY ROAD

Thanks to all...

I'm pretty thick sometimes but I'm sensing a conflict of opinion on this. Please forgive all my questions, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to this VA stuff so it's best to stick to the point with me. I simply want to do things right the first time around.

If the proposed regulations state the following why do I need a clear cut diagnosis of IHD?

"According to Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine (Harrison's

Online, Chapter 237, Ischemic Heart Disease, 2008), IHD is a condition

in which there is an inadequate supply of blood and oxygen to a portion

of the myocardium; it typically occurs when there is an imbalance

between myocardial oxygen supply and demand. Therefore, for purposes of

this regulation, the term ``IHD'' includes, but is not limited to,

acute, subacute, and old myocardial infarction; atherosclerotic

cardiovascular disease including coronary artery disease (including

coronary spasm) and coronary bypass surgery; and stable, unstable and

Prinzmetal's angina. Since the term refers only to heart disease, it

does not include hypertension or peripheral manifestations of

arteriosclerosis such as peripheral vascular disease or stroke.

Edited by chr49

CHR49

below 3 Mets 60%

3 METS and above 30%

vperl...

While I was at the Nashville VAMC I had tons of testing done prior to my most recent r. leg angioplasty in 2008. My leg was black at the time, I couldn't walk so I know they did some sort of chemical/resting stress test. I've had cat scans, ultrasounds, etc. I just don't have these records in my hands yet...so that I can't use them for documentation. I don't know what MUGA testing is.

Edited by chr49

CHR49