Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chronic Left Lumbar Radiculopathy

Rate this question

cannoncocker

Question

I am scheduled for a lumbar exam next week and would like to hear from someone who has been through that experience in order to better know what to expect.

Thank you

Could not find a beeter place to post this.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hey Cannon,

I just had one of these exams a couple of weeks ago. Here is a link to the questionnaire used by the examiner:

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm53.htm

I hope that helps. It pretty much goes down the line of what I experienced. By far, the worst thing was when the doc was assessing my range of motion. The straight leg raise caused some real pain

You might consider not taking any medication which could make your back feel a lot better. Do this for about a week ahead of time. This will allow the examiner to see your baseline condition, not a pharmaceutically improved condition. I did this and it was tough to even get some sleep at night because I was hurting a lot. When I got a copy of my results, I was surprised that I was in worse shape than I thought. I'm no doctor so skip the meds only if you feel like you can make it there. You can usually get a copy of the results within a week or two after the exam occurs.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

Hey Cannon,

I just had one of these exams a couple of weeks ago. Here is a link to the questionnaire used by the examiner:

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/21/Benefits/exams/disexm53.htm

I hope that helps. It pretty much goes down the line of what I experienced. By far, the worst thing was when the doc was assessing my range of motion. The straight leg raise caused some real pain

You might consider not taking any medication which could make your back feel a lot better. Do this for about a week ahead of time. This will allow the examiner to see your baseline condition, not a pharmaceutically improved condition. I did this and it was tough to even get some sleep at night because I was hurting a lot. When I got a copy of my results, I was surprised that I was in worse shape than I thought. I'm no doctor so skip the meds only if you feel like you can make it there. You can usually get a copy of the results within a week or two after the exam occurs.

You don't have to "skip" your pain meds for a week, 1 day is fine. Because, the meds are metabolized in less than 24 hours with the exception of a fentanyl patch.

Bergie

As a combat veteran, or any veteran for that matter!!!

If you thought the fighting was over when you came home, got out, or when the politicians said it was over.

Welcome to the real fight, welcome to VA claims!!!

"Just sayin"

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Good point, Bergie. I was just describing from personal experience. When I have my pain blocks, they pull me off the meds for a week prior. The first day or two are bearable, but as I got closer to the seventh day, I was hurting pretty bad. They pulled me off of opiods, NSAIDs, and a couple of other meds, including blood thinners. It might be different for everybody.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

Good point, Bergie. I was just describing from personal experience. When I have my pain blocks, they pull me off the meds for a week prior. The first day or two are bearable, but as I got closer to the seventh day, I was hurting pretty bad. They pulled me off of opiods, NSAIDs, and a couple of other meds, including blood thinners. It might be different for everybody.

For any invasive procedure they will stop any meds that inhibit clotting. NSAIDS, aspirin, ect for 7-10 days. But, for a C&P exam 1 day is adequate. No need to suffer any more than necessary.

Bergie

As a combat veteran, or any veteran for that matter!!!

If you thought the fighting was over when you came home, got out, or when the politicians said it was over.

Welcome to the real fight, welcome to VA claims!!!

"Just sayin"

Very useful information and I'm sure you can see that it is just easier to encounter an experience with some information available. I think the med info is useful and will split the difference and cut off at 3 or 4 days.

Many thanks

Also, make sure the examiner uses a goniometer to measure range of motion, and doesn't just casually eyeball these measurements and approximate them, which often happens. If he or she doesn't, and your C & P exam does not favor your claim, I would object to the examination as flawed and request another, or use that as grounds for appeal.

Also, remember, your examination begins while you're sitting out in the lobby waiting to be called in. Your posture in the chair you're sitting in will be noted, as well as whether or not you shifted positions often in an attempt to deal with your pain. This can take place before you set foot in the examining room.

As for pain meds, the point is well taken that the examiner cannot measure what he or she cannot find. Symptoms masked by pain medications are assumed to be non-existent, and not just mitigated by medication.