Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stress Fractures

Rate this question

okie143

Question

In 1999 I applied for service connection for stress fracture of the lower left leg, it happened on active duty and was recorded in my medical records. I was denied SC because they said they could not find a record of it. So I appealed, snet them copies of my medical records, which they had already, showing service connected, and they awarded me 10% SC.

In 2004 I applied for re-evaluation of my SC disabilities and I got 30% on my lower left leg stress fracture because it comes back when I walk more than 1/2 a mile. They didn't do an Xray and the only way it showed up on Active Duty was with a whole body scan with nuclear stuff shot in the blood.

Now, 2010, I am being re-evaluated again and they want to do an Xray. I told them the Xray would not show anything because it only comes back if I walk more than 1/2 mile, thus I am restricted on walking, standing, etc. Anyway I was wondering how this will turn out now. If the Xray doesn't show a fracture I guess I can appeal and tell them it only comes up when I walk more than 1/2 mile.

Anyone else have this problem?

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

In 1999 I applied for service connection for stress fracture of the lower left leg, it happened on active duty and was recorded in my medical records. I was denied SC because they said they could not find a record of it. So I appealed, snet them copies of my medical records, which they had already, showing service connected, and they awarded me 10% SC.

In 2004 I applied for re-evaluation of my SC disabilities and I got 30% on my lower left leg stress fracture because it comes back when I walk more than 1/2 a mile. They didn't do an Xray and the only way it showed up on Active Duty was with a whole body scan with nuclear stuff shot in the blood.

Now, 2010, I am being re-evaluated again and they want to do an Xray. I told them the Xray would not show anything because it only comes back if I walk more than 1/2 mile, thus I am restricted on walking, standing, etc. Anyway I was wondering how this will turn out now. If the Xray doesn't show a fracture I guess I can appeal and tell them it only comes up when I walk more than 1/2 mile.

Anyone else have this problem?

Has the fracture healed? If it is a "stress fracture", then, most likely it has healed, whether it was "treated" (cast, splint, etc.) or not. A stress fracture, unlike a "regular" fracture which will not heal properly unless treated, has a tendency to go ahead and heal itself. This is probably why they want to take a look at it and see what the nature of your fracture is now. Now, even if it HAS healed, did it heal properly with no residual effects, such as arthritic changes in the joints at or near the fracture. And, of course, there is the distinct possibility that the stress fracture DID NOT heal properly, due to being subjected to constantly being "stressed" during your daily activities to the point of not being able to affect a solid healing of the fracture surfaces.

You asked what you are going to do if they find that there is nothing wrong with you?

I dunno, but, I think I've given you something that you may be able to "hang-yer-hat-on", if, in fact you do have residual effects that do not show up on x-ray.

"It is cold and we have no blankets.

The little children are freezing to death.

My people, some of them, have run away to the hills, and have no blankets, no food; no one knows where they are-perhaps freezing to death.

I want to have time to look for my children and see how many of them I can find.

Maybe I shall find them among the dead.

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired; my heart is sick and sad.

From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever."

Chief Joseph